Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t agree entirely. I’m 7 years into my resto. $75k easy in receipts. Super happy with everything I’ve purchased. Sure, a few pieces I decided not to use, or went a different direction. But guess what?? With the prices going up on almost all parts, I’ve made money off parts I didn’t use. Put that towards the parts I now want, and couldn’t be happier.

One example of price hike? I just bought my ProFlow 4 two months ago for $2100. Price went up twice since then. First to $2300 now at $2400. And it’s out of stock.

Sorry you’re bummed about a couple parts. Not necessarily bad advice. But it’s not always a bad situation. Warranty situation is about the only downside, otherwise someone else will want the parts you don’t want.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went the route of purchasing a lot of parts before I needed them. I tried to keep a steady pace to the spending. That being said one of the first things I did when I got the car was get an engine built. Why? Who knows. I guess I was just too excited.

I have changed my mind on some parts so now I have extras (spring perches, shocks, std inst cluster and dash panel pieces). I’ve already purchased carpet, door panels, dash pad, headliner but I may not use them. I have 2 sets of original mustang seats and 3 sets of late model front seats 🤦‍♂️. Projects rarely go exactly as planned and sometimes you just have to roll with it. Good news is there are lots of mustangs out there so unloading spare parts shouldn’t be too difficult. Hopefully I don’t run into any warranty issues 🤞. Cross that bridge when I get.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
My major mistake was rebuilding the engine first, which unknown to me would not be installed for 5-6 years. A lot changed in layover period. I was too excited about getting started and didn't know how extensive my body work was going to be.

Reactions: beng

·
Registered
1971 302 C4 auto convertible, Grabber Blue/white/white
381 Posts
Yeah I have a couple grand in a new interior sitting, it will be the last thing installed after the car is painted…I wanted to get the seat covers and other bits together in case they went out of production, plus there was a sale. I bought 72 Sprint seat covers and they are somewhat uncommon….no warranty on them at this point….

it’s a mixed bag, I ordered an electric choke kit for my Edelbrock carb, and it is backordered 9+ months! I thought I was rewiring car quickly and would need it, it i decided to do more messy body work first….so I also have a $1200 wiring harness in a box in the basement….

21 - 26 of 26 Posts