Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made an order of parts and I bought new kick panels but without the speakers. My questions are about what speakers and deck to get. Keep in mind that I don't need a top of the line system here, just something to listen to the tunes with /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The two brands I am looking at are JVC & Sony, I think these both have good quality but at lower prices.

1. I have heard that Sony's Xplod 6 1/2 will fit in the kick panels because they have a 2" depth. Some JVC's have similar depths (1-3/4"). Are there other speakers that you recommend? I am also looking for 6x9's for the back but I figure that I would just get the same style as the 6-1/2".

2. What head unit would you recommend? I have been looking at some Sony's with 52x4 and some JVC's 50x4. What would you recommend?

3. So basically I plan on having a head unit (Glove Box) with 6-1/2" in the kicks and 6x9" in the shelf. (I want to add subs but I figure this will wait until next summer) Should I simply run the speakers from the deck or should spring for a amp already? If so what kind of amp should I be looking into? And where is the best place to put one.

4. What level of difficulty am I looking at for installing this in my coupe? I have some basic knowledge and have friends who could help out, but would we be out of our league here?

Thanks - Sorry for so many questions in one post.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a Sony head unit in my 67. It is one of those 52 watt x 4 ones. It has plenty of power to pump bass out of the 6x9's in the rear deck, so you won't need an amp to power them. I put two tiny 3.5" speakers up in the front center too, but one of them blew. They were good ones too, Infinity I believe. I should have blocked them from the low frequencies, I think that's what killed 'em. I think my web page has a picture or two of my stereo installed, so feel free to take a look.

G

·
0 Posts
i just got the panasonic unit(50X4) with goasttouch and has controls for a cd changer and extrnal amp and subs im going to add a sub and amp after new alternator(stock unit BLOWS)
i got 6 1/2 referance infinitys that are around 2"
installation is easy as long as you know what wires are witch(power/Igniton power/speakers)and you should label all wires!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
1. I like the Infiniti 6.5, but you will need to make spacer out
of wood to get the magnet to clear.
2. What ever you prefer

3. I would skip the 6x9's and put 1 10" sub in the trunk.

You can run the front speakers off the deck and run the sub
with a small amp in bridged mono. Hifonics amps are good
and fairly cheap. Something like this http://extremebass.com/hifz2zeusam.html

With the 6 1/2 speakers up front and a nice sub like a infinti perfect in the trunk you would have a nice sounding system.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just installed the Alpine cda-7894 head unit. It has an awsome 60watts X 4 power rating. Thing sounds great, best investment I made. The reason I upgraded is beacause I had the hardest time with noise coming through my speakers with an amp installed, while the enigine was running. I tryed everything to shut it up and nothing worked, so I scrapped the amp and old head unit, and invested in the Alpine. Plays MP3's, cd's, and even is satallite ready. I have two 6X9's in the back and two 61/2's on the door.(stupid PO cut holes in the door!) I would certainly consider one of these head units for your system, they make all the difference. It put me back $300.00, but well worth the $$. Have fun shopping. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
I love my Blaupunkt deck and you can pick one up for probably $150 now. I got a cheap JBL 2 x 50 amp to power Sony Explode 6x9 3 ways. They sound great, better than the Blaupunkt 6x9's I had. I had the same problem with 3.5's in the dash, didn't last too long...very disappointing performance from Rockford Fosgate. I definitely would go with an amp...much better bass. I've seen Pioneer 2x80's for around $100. If you do it yourself and shop right, you can put a nice system together for 4-500 dollars.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you want to stay with a shaft style head unit that has all the modern goodies (RCA, digital, CD controller...) and don't want to go with the USA-5 expensive stuff, Look for a Kenwood KRC-3006. It's only a 25x4, so I have to run an amp, but it fits in the stock opening and has all the modern goodies.
-Brian

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
For $180 or so you can score a Pioneer in dahs CD player /changer controller with detachable face and front and rear preouts....

Go for either Infinity or MTX coaxial speakers 6.5 in front and 6x9 rear. Your deck can power these speakers BUT.....

on louder levels they decks tend to run hot and shut down
and distortion is the key factor.

to remedy this run a 60x4 D class amp Pioneer, Kenwood,
Autotek, Hifonics, etc make nice ones for decent deals...

www.half.com sells em for good prices.

ANd DO SPEND the money on GOOD interconnect cables....cheap amps and rca interconnects ARE the main culprits for alternator wine in your sound system (that and missing alt condensor)

good luck and email me if any more questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts