Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have an 8" gash in my convert top right by the driver's side door.

They opened the door and went in but didn't take anything(radio, glove box items, etc) and there wasn't an attempt made to steal the car. I'm still puzzled by it.

Perhaps something scared them off before anything could happen.

Sucks for me!

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Did you have your door locked? I have always heard that you shouldn't lock a convertible for that very reason. I always wondered about that line of reasoning, but I think I just decided. Put valuables in trunk and leave the car open.

If the top wasn't new, this is actually a blessing in disguise. You can pay the deductible and get a brand new professionally installed top.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door was locked.

When I was looking for the car a few of the sellers said they never locked it because people will just cut the top anyway to get in. The PO of my car said the same but I later found out the reason was thet the locks were frozen up. I kinda regret fixing them now.

The top didn't need to be replaced before this. I'll have to check to see if my insurnce covers it.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Registered
672 Posts
I feel your pain, man...

I had the EXACT same thing happen, big ol' gash in the roof and nothing stolen. (on my '89) I got a new top and installation for a $50.00 valdalism deductable.

Full coverage insurance is good.

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

·
Registered
529 Posts
Boy, I know that hurts - someone put a slice on my 91 LeBaron some years back. Insurance took care of it but by the time they factored in depreciation and the deductible, all I got was enough to buy a new top. State Farm figures seven years life for a top and straight-line depreciates it. I ended up installing it myself.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
900 Posts
Count mine among the condolences. My '66 is a coupe, but I have a '94 GT vert and I think about that happening to mine from time to time. Hope you can recover something on the insurance end.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Dave, I understand and know the feeling. A drunk cowboy (no offense to those who are) thought he'd show off to his buddies and show he could punch his fist through my 6 month old top. He ended up putting keys through his fingers to do it. We were able to find who did it, and the cops advised him to make restitution or go to jail. I met him one evening and he gave me a $150 check to cover half of what I thought it would cost to replace. I opened the bank the next morning. The next day he called to apologize to the check bouncing because of a 'bank error'. The following Friday when the balance was due, he had skipped town. Catching who sliced my top has never diminished the touch of paranoia when leaving the ol' stang out. My wifes LeBaron 'vert, on the other hand, I'd gladly dismiss.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about your top. I guess it really don't matter vert vs. coupe vs. FB. If some cretin wants to mangle your stuff due to "pony envy", they will. I have to park mine in my own driveway this week w/ no hood or windows due to conflict w/son's Mustang; so I stripped all the goodies and covered it with a car cover and put some boxes in places so it looks like an old Rambler covered with a sheet...

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sorry to hear about your top. Please do not lock it in the future. I had some cassette tapes taken out of the glove box once, but at least my top was not cut. I know it's a creepy feeling to leave the car unlocked and walk away.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
[color:blue]Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles</font color=blue>
[color:red]MCA #49294</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your top. Hope your insurance covers it.

I've owned convertibles since I was 16 and I have never locked them, except for the 2 'Vette convertibles and the '97 Camaro convertible. Those all had alarm systems on them and needed to be locked for the alarm to activate. The 'Vettes actually locked automatically when I walked away from the car with the key fob. But I never locked the older cars. The kill switch is really the best prevention for car theft and for the valuables, just lock them in the trunk.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That is such a shame and I'm sorry to heard about the damage. Another thing I worry about is that our '65-'68 'Stangs have those easy-to-jimmy vent windows. If you put a locking device on 'em, the thief can bust the vent window. Yah just can't win.

I hope the insurance company takes care of you,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
664 Posts
I definately feel for you man. I had a similar experience with my Galaxie. The irony was that the car wasn't even locked but they still thought they had to bust out the quarter glass to get in. All the jerks took was my "CLASS of '88" tassle that I had hanging from the mirror. That part didn't bother me so much as the blatant stupidity of breaking the window to get it. So it doesn't matter if you lock it or you don't, if you have something they want bad enough they will do whatever they have to do to get it.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts