Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the mustang scene. Just bought a 68' coupe project. I am looking to switch the automatic C4 that orig. was on a 289 to a 3 speed or 4 speed. Which is better and why? Furthermore when I switch it over, what exactly do I need? what bells are for what and all that jazz. thanks for anything you can give me [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
If changing from Auto to manual, the minimum you will want to use is a 4spd. (3spd will work, but will not be very "Sporty" to drive). As long as you are considering this expense, you might as well opt for a late model 5spd (T5) upgrade and get the benefit of overdrive (Sporty and Economical)

There are a number of things to consider and parts to buy when doing a swap like this so I would suggest doing several searches here on the VMF using "T5 Upgrade" as key words as well as checking out sites like www.moderndriveline.com , www.darkhorseperformance.com

But in a nutshell, to do this type of conversion you will need to; modify your Pedal Hangar Assy., replace Bell Housing, Throw-Out Fork, Flywheel, obtain/add all necessary Clutch linkage (Z-bar set-up, Cable set-up, or Hydraulic set-up depending on type of conversion you decide to use), replacement Transmission of choice, Clutch set, Shifter, Shifter boot, possibly replace trans cross member and/or shorten drive shaft.

Ken

·
Registered
989 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn you guys are good.. gives me somethin to think about and that's a great start thank you much.. I might consider purchasing that 4-speed not at this time though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts