Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of ordering parts for my 65 and I'm having a bit of trouble find information on this grill. It's not the honeycomb but kind of a billet? style. Is this some aftermarket grill? It looks like ti had some emblem in the middle. Any info would be great,

Thanks

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
PO evidently wanted it simpler. 65 had pony in small corral with a chrome plated bar to the edge of the opening. 66 had just the pony in the small corral ent the center.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Back in the day someone probably just wanted the newer look. even if it was just one year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Back in the day, '75 just out of high school, my coupe needed a dash.
I found a 66 dash in the paper cheap, so I put it in.

Eventually some guy probably asked, why on earth would anyone put a 66 dash on a 65.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably just a matter of personal taste or maybe a few years back, that was what the PO could find or afford. I personally liked the honeycomb look better so I just swapped out my 66 grill for the 65. Not being a poser, but I also went with the Shelby look with the tri-bar emblem off to the drivers side. I like the clean and simple look.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
your car has a 66 grill. i put a 66 grill in my last 65 and left it in when i sold it. i am going to put a 66 grill in the 65 i have now. i like the 66 grill.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Back in the day, '75 just out of high school, my coupe needed a dash.
I found a 66 dash in the paper cheap, so I put it in.

Eventually some guy probably asked, why on earth would anyone put a 66 dash on a 65.
i put a 66 dash pad in a 65 i had. i might a 66 pad in the 65 i have now. you gotta drill 4 holes.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Probably just a matter of personal taste or maybe a few years back, that was what the PO could find or afford. I personally liked the honeycomb look better so I just swapped out my 66 grill for the 65. Not being a poser, but I also went with the Shelby look with the tri-bar emblem off to the drivers side. I like the clean and simple look.
Is the Shelby emblem on the grill the same as the standard front fender emblem?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is the Shelby emblem on the grill the same as the standard front fender emblem?
Not 100% sure (neither was the guy at the parts counter) but I went ahead and used one from the drivers fender. Looked right to me. Actually when I bought the car, it had a 66 GT grill on it. A little too busy for my taste, so I pulled it and sold it on craigslist. My wife thinks it looked better before, but I like it. She is more into the chrome/flashy stuff then I am.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Try the 58 Buick or 58 Olds...you want bling by the pound! My folks had a 58 Olds Super 88. Went like a raped ape but the lathered on chrome and stainless was embarrasing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts