Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum I have been arguing with a guy trying to tell me, and others, that the 2003 Cobra is not underrated. He says he has seen personally that the Cobra can only pull 333 RWHP. That would mean thats its actually overrated.

I own one, and bone stock, yes with the silencer still in place, I pulled over 370 RWHP. Thats over 400 at the crank. It took me 3 pulls to hit that, but I easily did. I have shown this guy dynos graphs, videos and everything proving my point, yet he wont budge. I dont get it, is he jealous or something? Sorry I just need to rant somewhere else other than the other forum haha.

Its weird it seems like all the American car guys back eachother, no matter what the topic, when import guys say something else, its rather funny. Its not chevy vs ford vs mopar, but rather v8 vs tuner.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You gotta remember, for his import to pull that kind of numbers he's going to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-15K more on his car, you achieved that with a factory car. It seems that most import tuners just want to beat a V8 regardless of the cost, I can't figure out that thinking either. Why don't they just build a V8 car? Hell it'll be easier and cheaper, but I guess if they have the bucks....I doubt they can touch a Cobra if you were to spend the same amount of money they spent on theirs. I wouldn't worry about it tho, most of them just put fart pipes and aluminum wings on them and nothing else, even if you were dealing with a "true" tuner, usually backed by a manufacturer, I think you can smoke them all.....Of course I don't believe in street racing...well, most of the time ;)..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is rated at 390 at the engine. People who have taken their car to get dynoed have seen thats it actually producing easily over 400 horsepower. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords got 381 RWHP on a stock car they dynoed, which would be about 410 hp at the flywheel. I guess they didnt want to risk having it overrated like the 99 Cobras, that and didnt want it over 400 for insurance reasons.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0208mmff_deathmatch/

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah, I just wish some people would think before they go out and make a fool of themselves. I mean they put down any car cause they think theres is the fastest. I mean when Im at the strips or the streets driving the Cobra, I know that a run with a new Z06 will be VERY close, as well as modded f bodies and C5's, and I respect that. But these guys, not all of course, but most I have dealt with, dont get that.

And I know they can make their cars scream, it just takes more money and effort, where as I have spent $400 in mod, cat back and filter, and ran low 12's with stock tires. Of course I need new tires pretty soon, haha.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i agree, id like to see ANY RICER beat me with 9,000 in their car like i got. im gonna run high 12's here in 2 weeks garrunteed unless its like 100 degrees outside for some reason. the majority of them know nothing about their cars at all, when i went to this thing we call 'saturday night fever' around here, if its street legal you can race it on the track. i had my 69 out there with my bf drag radials. all i did was pull up to the line and then.... waited.... waited... waited... for the stupid stock civic with its wing and blah blah blah to do is pathetic burn out, when he finally got to the line, we took off and i kicked his ass by id say half a track. i ran a 13.71 and he ran an 18 something. i ran 15's on my stock tires last year with out a burn out once and he has to do it with his 18 sec ride.... give me a break here...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill have to ask my dad and get back to you, I know its pretty bad. I was interested in a 98 Cobra before I bought my car and my dad called the insurance company and said no way. And I have never had a ticket nor accident or anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts