Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating whether to keep the 289 that is coming with my 65 coupe, or putting something else in. What size engines will fit in the engine bay with no modification to the shock towers? What size engines do most of you have in your Mustangs? The reason I may not keep the 289 is I am not sure if it runs, and I would really like to have some street power like a 351 or a 347. Also, what transmissions are compatable with what engines? And if all are, what does it take to connect them? Different bellhousing? Thanks for all the help, I know you guys know what you are talking about. ;)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I dont feel like paying someone using my car as a guinea pig, testing the durability, design, and quality of their stroker kit....so I'd use a 351.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have done a lot of research as to what will fit and what not, just more or less wondering what all of you use in yours. A 351W would be pretty badass, even stroking that out to a 406 would be amazing. But then again, the bigger the engine, the bigger the price tag :((at least in most cases)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The 351W and 351C are the largest motors you can install without modifying your shock towers. The 351C is a tigher fit of course, and some have found they've needed to finesse the shock towers a little, lol

Of course the 347 is another option. All of the following engines can use the same transission so that's not an issue.

I went with a 347 and a Tremec TKO 5 speed in my '66 coupe.
The smaller, lighter motor (compared to a 351) connected to an overdrive transmisson makes for a well balanced combo. The extra hood clearence and engine space doesn't hurt either. Just my $.02 ::

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking if I could find a good 351W I will put that in the bay. Just gotta get one for the right price and what not, definitely gonna go with a manual, that is all I have ever driven, and love it. Or I may just take the 289 that comes with it and be happy, as long as it runs and isn't too weak, I will be satisfied.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
this is such a vague and complex question, a search/research would serve you well..that way you can narrow your inquiry.

..but my personal preference would be a 289 or 302-based stroker, to either 331 or 347 CID.
I'd say ditto to this.

327, 331, 347, 357 strokers are fairly common.

I am a fan of the standard bore 327 or .30 over 331.

These kits have been on the market for about 15 years now. Just find a reputable shop or crate engine place. They are still mondo expensive, even just for the parts to create them.

This is not to knock the 289 or 302. The factory displacement with a good set of aftermarket heads that flow well at .500 to .510 lift (and have valves to fit the 289 bore, or if not overbore if the block is capable) are great when combined with a camshaft with the lift to match and near a 112d lobe centerline, 9.0-9.8:1 compression, a 600 to 675cfm carb on a 180d 2 plane intake. Add to that your favorite engine dress up items and a good ignition and your 289/302 will be running strong to 6000rpm and making a competitive 350hp, possibly more.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a 351W based 393 and love the power,but hate when I need to do anything with the spark plugs or headers on the drivers side. It would be alot easier to work on the 289,302 based stroker.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I agree. A 351w is a bit wider than a 302/289, so header clearance is an issue. You will need special conversion headers, and then a custom exhaust will have to be made, something most people do with a new motor, anyway. I am more than happy with my 351, and I can now reinstall headers in less than a half hour. ( lots of practice :))You can build a 289/ 302 to be plenty fast, but if you are willing to put up with a few more problems, a 351w is a great motor. I recommend getting a hi tork mini starter, though, as I have went through a few starters, due to heat soak, and hi engine compression. Just my opinions. Hope it helped.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I agree. A 351w is a bit wider than a 302/289, so header clearance is an issue.

I didnt write the numbers down, but had an acquaintance with a 66 coupe/351W that had ordinary heddman windsor hedders in it.

Clearance isnt that bad.

·
Registered
861 Posts
When you get the car make sure the switch over to a V8 setup was done correctly, because your car was originally an I6 (200). The suspension and the driveline may have to be change if you are going to go for a bigger engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts