Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 fastback has the saggy pants look in the ass end.Has anyone come across a good known spring combination for the rear to at least give it the aggressive stance look.Also the springs I have now are new and I've even added an extra leaf myself and still looks the same. Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Bob: Get that fat girl out of the back seat....
Sorry, couldn't help myself.....
What rear springs do you have in the car now? Did you go mid-eye springs, or stock replacement?
Maybe you need to go to the 5 leaf springs....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with stock relacements.I even bought a set of the 1"lift springs that they advertise in one of the magazines when I matched them up with the stock replacement springs they were the same arch.So I called the place and the guy said "It's not the arch it's the spring rate" needless to say I installed them only to end up with the same rear ride hight.Then angrly removed them and sent them back.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Sharp car Bob...

You might try a regular eye 4.5 leaf spring or even a 5 leaf...I'd be inclined to go mid-eye with the 5 leaf to minimize the "jacked up" look.....buying good quality springs is as important as the spring rate and number of leafs...ask around to see what others are using, brand-wise.

Adding some spring in front of the axle housing can also help control torque reaction and housing rotation/spring wrap up, which can be problematical with the torque of a big block...

Lastly, runnning good shocks won't necessarily help static ride height but they sure can do wonders for ride and handling going down the road....I'm from the old KYB/Koni school but then I'm old..*G*

Good luck!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Canadian Mustang / American Pony standard springs....I put them on my '66 GT coupe...ride height is fine and much firmer ...and now I can actually carry passengers in the rear seat.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I installed the Canadian Mustang 5 leaf springs with the standard eye on the Fastback. IMO, the ride height is perfect and the 245/60s clear just fine, even with passengers in the rear seat. The car doesn't have the "jacked-up, air shock" look either.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My experience with the Canadian Mustang 5 leafs is negative. I have them on SWMBO's
67' convertible, and it put the ass end so low I ended up scraping the undercarriage all
but the smallest bumps in the road. I ended up buying an el-cheapo shackle kit from
Advance Auto and using it to jack up the rear by almost 3". This put the car in a neutral
stance and gave enough ground clearance to drive it. I've had the srpings for almost
2 years now (they sat unopened for almost 6 months while I was restoring the car and
they settled big time over last winter while in storage.)

My advice is to check them out thoroughly - take before and after photos - and be prepared
to send them back if they aren;t exactly what you expected. Also, hang onto your receipts
in case they sag after being on the car awhile.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts