Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 ford 4.6 4x4 has 200,000 miles on it and it needs new plug wires and a second set of plugs .
The Ford Garage wants $ 400.00 for this work and I thought ok, that something I can do myself and save some money (NOT)
I can hardly even see the rear plug location and can't even get my hand back there to pull the dang wire !
the rear half of the engine sit almost directly under the dash .
Has anybody out there done there own tune up on one of these trucks ?
If so what does one do ? ::

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did a tune up on a similar vehicle about a month ago. I changed every plug from underneath the vehicle. My son help to feed each plug wire down to me which made it a lot easier. I charge the guy $50 plus parts for the job. $400 for a tune up is just plan crazy in my opinion.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How on earth did you do that, my plugs wires clearly run on the top of the engine and can not see anyway to get to them from the bottom ? Was it a Chevy truck ?
There I believe still are down the side of the heads.
Fords 4.6 has the plugs going into the top intake maniflod side of the heads.

G

·
I don't know if the trucks are set up the same, but my 97 GT has the 4.6 and I can change all the plugs out in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I dont remember what it was but I thought is was a 97 Ford Areostar with a 4.6 liter. I know what ever it was, that it did have the 4.6 liter as I made the comment as to how much better that engine was over the 2.8 liter. Anyway I took off the dog house from inside hoping to do most of the work from there, but was unable to do nearly anything. Thats when I raised the front end one foot off the ground and went under to do the job. If I would not have had my son there to grab the old plugs and hand me the new plugs and feed the plug wires down to me and hand me different lengths of socket extensions for each plug, I would have charged at least a hundred in labor. By the way, even with my sons help the job was a four hour bitch.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Plumbit, I know you don't want to say it so I will. What does a 97 GT and a 97 Aerostar have to do with a 98 F150??? The last time I looked, they were COMPLETELY different vehicles. I have an '01 F150 with the 5.4l. The last time I was changing the oil I looked at the plugs/wires and wondered how the hell I could get to them, they tuck that engine right under the dash! If you figure out a good way, let me know. Better yet, I'm only a couple of hours from Clare, I'll just drive up and have you do it! ::

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark , I have a great idea ! You find away to do it and I'll make all those grunting noise's and watch you !

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I know your frustration.

I just got my F250 Power stroke back from it's 30,000 + service at the Dealership and it cost me $480.00 :: And for what? Changing fluids & Filters, and "Inspecting" a bunch of stuff?

I have one of those love/hate relationships with my dealer, I love the deals I get when I buy, and I love the friendly attitude and customer services, but I just HATE these major service intervals and forking over that kind of green. I guess I'm gunna have to find someone who knows diesels and learn a little something about them. Right now, I have no idea what I'm looking at under that hood. Damn things even got 2 batteries :: ::

G

·
I thinkstudmuffin is thinking of the 4.0 liter 6-banger. Aerostars (shudder) didn't come with V8s of any displacement. When you drive a minivan and it needs a tune up, find a nice, tall cliff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts