Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought the boss two weeks ago the one with the sun roof cutinto it. Now I have worked on cutoms and restorations for a long time but here is the question of the day. Should I rip out the roof or leave it? I know that it is nice to have one but the car should be ready for paint in two weeks and I need to act fast.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I am assuming it is one of those cheap aftermarket se through ones. Take it out now before you regret it later. NOBODY who wants to buy a Boss will want one with an aftermarket sunroof hole in it. I bought a Charger not too long ago with one but fortunately the man kept the piece of metal that they cut out of the roof and it fit back in the hole perfectly!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Boss Mustangs are too collectible right now to risk modifying. That sunroof will drastically drop the value.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's your car, of course, so you should do what pleases you, but I wouldn't have to think about this decision for an instant if it were my car. There's no way I'd leave a sunroof in a Boss. The owner who cut the roof should be shot. Take it out and return the roof to stock.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Personally I'd remove, but that's because I don't care for sunroofs. Unless you are looking at this car as an investment, do what will give you the most enjoyment.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
There's no way I'd have a Boss painted with a cheap 70's sunroof.
Replace the roof... Preferably the whole thing, drill out the spot welds. Forget about just replacing the missing hole, they never look right.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Esthetically speaking, IMO the sun roof must go!

Another point to consider: back in college I bought a used car with an aftermarket sunroof... luckily it does not rain much in Southern California, because the sunroof was prone to intermittent leaks with water "wicking" around the glass and past the rubber grommet resulting in a minor drip. This car was not a Mustang, the problem may have been due to the contours of the car's roofline and other applications may seal correctly. The point is that this sunroof was not specifically engineered for your car, and its ability to seal is dependent on many factors... I would never own a car with an aftermarket sunroof again.

Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Flame suit on.....

If you are going to keep the car and not try to sell for a profit or what ever. To me it would completely depend on the sunroof. If it is one of those cheezy 80's style pop ups. Then I would take it out. If it is a very nice power aftermarket sunroof like the webasto roof I have on my daily driver. I would consider keeping it. Mine is a million times better than the factory original and I doubt it will ever leak. However, since the Boss didn't come with one. There is the value issue!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
the sunroof was prone to intermittent leaks with water "wicking" around the glass
That's what I was going to say. Take the car and an assistant to a touchless carwash and have the assistant squirt that high pressure wand around the sunroof while you sit in the car and see how much you enjoy that great outdoors feeling.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
EGADS! OUT WITH THEE, DEMON SUNROOF!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts