Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the so called "forum administrators" doing? Sleeping? This Chinese invasion has to be stopped. The entire country has been poisoned by the incessant data theft and continued intrusion by China and if it continues here, I will be gone.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What are the so called "forum administrators" doing? Sleeping? This Chinese invasion has to be stopped. The entire country has been poisoned by the incessant data theft and continued intrusion by China and if it continues here, I will be gone.
The best way to make it go away at the moment is to click on the user name and click "ignore". It will hide every post by that user.

This is a game of whack a mole for the admins.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm not seeing it and think the admins are doing the best they can with the permissions they have

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I am thinking they are going to have to take a look at the IP addresses that they are coming from and block the whole range. If they are spoofing IPs it might cause problems for legitimate users but I am betting they are probably coming straight from China/Korea and we don't appear to have any users from there so block the whole dang country off!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Posted by @GypsyR on a different thread:

In the old forum I could see the new members as a list and used to nuke a couple of particular Asian spammers about 15 times a week. With the new forum they decided I didn't need such access and their newfangled spam filter thingy would take care of all that.
Yep, working out REAL well.
I did what @66coupe289 said and right clicked and ignore...problem solved so far.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The unpaid volunteers who moderate the forums have very little power over system admin issues like dealing with spammers or hackers. All they can do is notify the owners, who then notify their IT people, who then modify their firewalls and/or the forum software to block the spammers. If you still see the spam, then either the IT people are clueless idiots or the forum owners don't care.

Frankly, I'd block all offending IP ranges AND change the forum software to reject posts and usernames which contain non-ASCII characters.

·
Super Moderator
8,983 Posts
This new set up isn’t like the old forum,.....

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
I've only seen it once, I think they are doing alright getting rid of it.
If you've only seen it once you aren't visiting this forum very often. I wake up pretty early in the morning and some mornings there will be about 25 threads started by each one of the hackers so there may be 50-100 of these chinese spam threads. Apparently the administrators are late sleepers because these threads will have been up for 4 or 5 hours before they are nuked.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If you've only seen it once you aren't visiting this forum very often. I wake up pretty early in the morning and some mornings there will be about 25 threads started by each one of the hackers so there may be 50-100 of these chinese spam threads. Apparently the administrators are late sleepers because these threads will have been up for 4 or 5 hours before they are nuked.
actually i'm here multiple times a day, I must be hitting the right times.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
Our early morning guy is PatrickStapler. He gets up at like 5AM CST every day and immediately starts nuking Asian threads while brushing his teeth. If you get on before noon and don't see any of this type spam you can thank him.

·
Spam stamper
9,158 Posts
Do you have cameras in my house Gypsy???

I think yesterday was the worst. One user created over 200 threads at one time. It took several minutes for the software to clean and ban them. Another user had close to 50. Another had over 30. Probably all the same user with generated names and spoofed IP’s.

I know it’s painful, but hitting the ignore button doesn’t fix the problem. If you report it, I think the actual admins (including the mods) will see it. Otherwise, I don’t think they care. However, filing reports might increase the severity...or it won’t...wishful thinking. But yes, I have tried to get them all cleaned when I get up at 5’ish every day. Sorry for you earlier risers on the East coast.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Do they give you a geocoding option for the system ? I know that's how we stop all that garbage from hitting our environment. Its not just the Chinese, its the Russians and middle eastern's as well!

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
Do you have cameras in my house Gypsy???

I think yesterday was the worst. One user created over 200 threads at one time. It took several minutes for the software to clean and ban them. Another user had close to 50. Another had over 30. Probably all the same user with generated names and spoofed IP’s.
No cameras, but I tend get on about 10 am and when I do lately I'm seeing where you got up early and laid waste to the latest crop. This morning was indeed a bumper crop of spam and I thank you for getting rid of it.

It used to be there was a persistent bunch (or one really busy person, who knows) out of Cambodia that was pretty easy to smack down even though they never let up. The latest one seems to have discovered IP spoofing as the origin of what is obviously the exact same activity is bouncing all over the globe. The US, Hong Kong, Kiev, and Moscow are examples. No doubt why the automated spam filters are having such trouble.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Is there anyting we can do as individuals to F%@K up these butt holes.
I am far from computer savy but lets see if and what we can get back at them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm subscribed to most of the categories and have new message email alerts on, so every morning I get a bunch of these damn Chinese posts emails alerts.

I had to unsubscribe to them so I don't get bombarded with those emails.

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
Uh you ever been a moderator? Easy to throw rocks from the sidelines.
Stan

1 - 20 of 213 Posts