Vintage Mustang Forums banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,983 Posts
One reason a lot of you don't see these is because of the time difference. Despite that they are using some kind of IP spoofing, the core of problem appears to be originating from Hong Kong. Apparently they like to hit us in their afternoon hours in particular. This coincides with around the time Mr.Stapler gets up and gets on the forum or just before then. So for the most part you have him to thank. I'd hazard 90% of the hits we've taken have been put down by him alone. Even though his patience is wearing thin, he's doing a fantastic job and is a credit to the forum.
Fear the Stapler!

·
Registered
797 Posts
All the Chinese have been confined to home ... so the government has given them other work to do ... hacking the world.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
This is the only forum with the new format that I go to that has this problem.
To me that means someone here can fix the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is the only forum with the new format that I go to that has this problem.
To me that means someone here can fix the problem.
Yep, it can be fixed in about 10 minutes. But the owner does not want to do this at the "Site" level - he wants to do it across the entire network. I provided him with the step by step solution with this software already.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
The update is supposed to help against "bots". Sounds like it will do zilch for the human spammers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The update is supposed to help against "bots". Sounds like it will do zilch for the human spammers.
Spam Prevention
We’ve made some updates to our reCAPTCHA services during sign-up to make it tougher on bots. This service helps protect the platform from spam and abuse, while letting valid users pass through with ease.
Bots are the majority although we don't know who's hitting this place.

And you can't block just on IP location as that's easily spoofed.

The other option is to have admins/mods manually approve every member. Some forums do this although it causes delays in getting real members authorized.

Spammers tend to target larger forums so that says something about this place. :cool:

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
I've just had a feeling that they've been human directed. Given that there have been at least four different attacks since that update (one just two hours before posted this) the evidence suggests either I may be correct or the thingy they put into place isn't working. (I hate captchas).
You guys don't see them but moderators see the spam even after Patrick has smacked it down. It doesn't go away for us until "pop to the top" posts rotate them onto another page. This means the little trafficked sections like "free-trade" will be littered with the semi-deleted spam posts for weeks as far as we are concerned. Makes the forum not fun to read. Plus we all have to scan each and every section that has new posts when we get on. Where before many sections were left to the exclusive oversight of that section's moderator.
Not like it's an actual lot of work really. I used to get bored and have to go look for stuff to do on the old forum and now I stay pretty busy so there's that I guess. It was more enjoyable being a little bored though.

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
I've just had a feeling that they've been human directed. Given that there have been at least four different attacks since that update the evidence suggests either I may be correct or the thingy they put into place isn't working.
I figured it was human directed simply because how would a bot choose differing and particular forums to hit once inside the membership gate? It seems to me that somebody is making selections on a keyboard. And why do the number of posts vary from one user name to the next? 5 here, 12 there, 77 over there, 28 back over here again,...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why are new members allowed to post immediately? Seems like even a short waiting time for first post and between posts would slow down most spammers or at least allow a chance to detect and remove them before too many posts.

This may be completly out of the moderators control and I do appreciate all their effort on this site.

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
This is funny, sort of. Two previously banned China scammers returned this morning to either add more posts or view their previous handiwork. No joy for either of them, looks like they'll have to go through the process again...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what benefit does the china spam poster get? What do they accomplish by posting all that gibberish?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why are new members allowed to post immediately? Seems like even a short waiting time for first post and between posts would slow down most spammers or at least allow a chance to detect and remove them before too many posts.

This may be completly out of the moderators control and I do appreciate all their effort on this site.
This is the correct fix, but only an Admin can access this area. It would put a brand new member into a "New Member" user group and they would not go in "Registered" where we all are until there first post is approved. It's a simple setup in the Promotions menu within the Xenforo software. But Like I said before, even though Jeff agreed that this is the solution, he would have to do it everyone 1 at a time and he wants a REALM fix instead of helping "Vintage".

Just make me an Admin for 10 minutes :D

181 - 200 of 213 Posts