Vintage Mustang Forums banner

141 - 160 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Is this something where the moderators will have to stop doing such a great job keeping this stuff deleted for several days (or more) to let the site completely blow up and actually get someone’s attention? I realize it makes if difficult or impossible to navigate the site for us, but I will agree this is preventable if someone of authority cared. Maybe the moderators can all self-quarantine from this mess for awhile🙂

·
Dimples
3,854 Posts
Is this something where the moderators will have to stop doing such a great job keeping this stuff deleted for several days (or more) to let the site completely blow up and actually get someone’s attention? I realize it makes if difficult or impossible to navigate the site for us, but I will agree this is preventable if someone of authority cared. Maybe the moderators can all self-quarantine from this mess for awhile🙂
That’s an intriguing idea. I have no faith in ownership to actually do anything to fix it, but it would be an interesting experiment. My concern is that our faithful mods would realize how much easier their lives were that week and not come back.

·
Spam stamper
9,158 Posts
I tried it for 2 maybe 3 days at the beginning of this $hit. They did nothing to fix it. So it took us more time to clean it out. As it is (today being the worst so far) it takes about 15-20 minutes in the morning to clean it out. I’m serious about the paid memberships. I think if everyone cancels them we might get SOME attention. Will it be painful for a bit...maybe? However, we might get our site back.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
One reason a lot of you don't see these is because of the time difference. Despite that they are using some kind of IP spoofing, the core of problem appears to be originating from Hong Kong. Apparently they like to hit us in their afternoon hours in particular. This coincides with around the time Mr.Stapler gets up and gets on the forum or just before then. So for the most part you have him to thank. I'd hazard 90% of the hits we've taken have been put down by him alone. Even though his patience is wearing thin, he's doing a fantastic job and is a credit to the forum.

·
Dimples
3,854 Posts
As far as paid memberships, I’m not sure they’d notice. That’s a drop in the bucket compared to ad revenue, and they have proven they can exist just fine on archived content with other sites they’ve bought and let wither, so there’s really not much leverage on our end.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
More good suggestions, but you’re speaking to the void. AutoGuide / VerticalScope sucks and ignores their forums.
But they don't ignore the ad revenue coming in.

·
Dimples
3,854 Posts
But they don't ignore the ad revenue coming in.
Exactly, and that’s going to happen no matter what, with 20ish years of archived knowledge. The few hundred us that are regular posters are nothing compared to the google traffic from people who are researching and learning from our conversations.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
Can you tell if it's one person that's doing it or is it a group?
I can't, no. I'm not able to get through IP spoofing and I don't have access to any actual "admin" forum tools since the forum changed the last time.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Most favored nation strikes again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, they are really active tonight....

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
No kidding . Must be a really slow day in China

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sent John the "Fix" - 100%, but he did thank me and although he knows it would indeed fix it here, he needs to put something in place that will correct the issue on a global bases. I guess he is referring to all the brands at once.

They must ALL be getting hit, not just vintage.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
Not all of them, but certainly quite a few and mostly the bigger and more active sites. Autoguide owns a LOT of forums.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Can you tell if it's one person that's doing it or is it a group?
Yes and no. Human beings rarely spam or hack sites directly. It's usually an automated program that some bad guy wrote. They hack other computers, then control those computers to spam and hack other computers. The slang term is "bot" (short for "robot") referring to the program and "zombie" referring to the hacked computer. The person directing the attack just tells his "zombies" what IP ranges to scan and how often. Once the bot program finds a victim site, it probes for flaws in the registration and login process. If the bot finds a way to automatically create accounts, it can then spam the forum as often as the human director desires.

The source of most bots is usually web hosting companies. They allow baddies to openly rent space and/or they host hacked web sites. For example, Amazon Web Service (AWS) and GoDaddy are both cesspools of hacked web sites and malicious bots. It's so bad, I now suspect that most AWS customers are Russian mafia. The second largest source are mudane consumer products like smart phones, cable boxes, and smart TVs. Yes, your iPhone, Android, Charter Cable box, and Samsung 4K are probably committing Google "click fraud" or hacking a web site right now. Home computers are still used, but they have become much less attractive to hackers since they aren't running 24/7 like servers and consumer products.

My current web server ban list only contains about 100 IP ranges from Hong Kong. These are computers which have tried to spam or hack my web sites repeatedly over the past 6 years. For comparison, about 500 mainland China IP ranges are banned, 730 from India, 500 from Ukraine, and about 1,000 from Russia alone. Most of the hackers in Europe operate out of the former Soviet Union and its satellites. So for its physical size, Hong Kong is actually pretty bad. Most of the Asian hackers seem to come from communist and Islamic nations. I attribute that more to older, bootleg copies of Windows and a total lack of security software than to any ideology. Japan and South Korea almost never have any baddies (at least directly) and they're always cutting edge on technology. For these economic reasons, I also block the entire continent of Africa, South America, and any country name ending with "Stan". I've never seen any legitimate web traffic from these regions, so it's no loss.

Now here's what will "bake your noodle" if you made it this far.... I still have no idea where the bad guys are actually operating! Remember, the "zombie" computers, phones, cable boxes, and TVs were hacked remotely. The bad buys might be in the USA, Israel, or Germany for all I know. But I also don't care. I hold the origin of the hack attempt responsible. It's not that hard to keep your systems clean and monitor their behavior. Also, none of the areas I've ban contain legitimate customers for my business. My approach probably wouldn't work for a social media web site.

141 - 160 of 213 Posts