Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A van backed into my car while it was parked and really did a number on my driver's side door. Luckily there was no damage to the rest of the body. My door has to be replaced. Where's a good place to look for one?

Has anyone here had success having the insurance pay to get the whole car repainted in a similar situation? There's no way they're going to be able to match the exact color and even if they did, it's not going to blend in 100%

·
Dimples
5,172 Posts
Oh dang, that sucks man. Fortunate that the quarter and rocker made it out ok though.

I highly doubt you’re going to have any luck getting insurance to pay for a full paint job in this situation. Don’t blame you for wanting it, but yeah.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
855 Posts
Wow...how do you not see a car like that and back into it? Bummer. Looks like now would be good time for a color change IF you wanted to. I DO like that Blue... is it a factory color?
Doubt that the insurance will go for a whole paint job as well.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Re-paint the whole car ? Doubt it. Install a replacement door and re-paint to match would be a win. Brian

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,313 Posts
It looks like a modern color so that should make it easier to match. Do you happen to know the paint code? I used to work in a bodyshop fulltime and have had lots of experience with insurance companies where I live. They are only going to pay for what's damaged and blend paint. Start asking around to find out which of your local shops have the best reputation for paint matching. I put 2 repro doors on my 66 and was very pleased with the quality. The only issues I had was having to weld a few pieces of 1/8" rod to fix up some gaps.

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
good luck finding a drivers door. I had 5 good ones but I'm down to one and a guy is coming tomorrow for it. I still have 5 good passenger doors 4 sail away sail away uh oh it sunk

·
Registered
811 Posts
No reason it can't be blended

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
FYI- there are 2 types of trained "painters".. those who do "blending" which is where they get the color very close and then "fog" the 1st few inches of the adjoining panels to make you think it loos good... but IMHO it almost always looks like a zebra and "Paint Matching". ICAR training schools (Pro Certification) provide this type of training and the painters are EXCELLENT! and yes, you can match most paints incredibly well! When my wife's car was hit a few years ago (factory black- that was already 10 years old), it took a bit of searching with the insurance company to find a shop that did "paint matching"... the car was excellent and to this day remains so.... not even myself could tell where it was painted. I personally had to do this a few years ago on the same car...a USPS carrier walk by the back of the car and didn't realize the bag's brass buckle dug into the rear back decklid down to the primer...about 8 inches long. Without stripping the entire paint down, I primed, filled and color matched the rear flat facing portion of the decklid..... including matching the oem level of orange peel. Even where my wife works, the "car guys' came out to see it....and couldn't believe that in both the shade and direct light it's a match. It can be done....don't let anyone tell you any differently.

Metallics are obviously a little more challenging, but it's time, training, experience and patience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The car looks great except the door. I like that color. I don't think the insurance will pay for anything more than just the door. How old is the paint job? If you know who painted it then I'd start there. I had trouble getting a repop door to fit. I had to cut and weld it to make it fit. Maybe you'll be luckier than I was.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not an original color, but I don't have the code. The seller gave me a bunch of receipts, but I wasn't able to locate the receipt for the paint. I'd love to keep the color. I did take it to a paint shop a while back to see if they could match the color, but they weren't able to. I'm sure there are more reputable places that could. Just hoping it doesn't look completely off after they try to match it.

I won't lie, I shed a few tears after this incident. Hope finding the door won't be difficult.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I noticed in your profile that you are in the Los Angeles area. I live in Santa Clarita (about 45 minutes north of downtown). In the Castaic area where I live there is a Mustang yard that has dozens of OE doors. The name of the place is "Mustang MD".
Paul owns it and is a nice guy to work with. If you want OE sheet metal, He's the guy to see. If a repop door is what you are looking for, NPD is in Ventura. They will have your door.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a very similar experience a few years ago with my 57 TBird. Hagerty was fine with repainting the entire car. Guess it depends on who your insurance company is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had hail damage to the hood, roof, and trunk. When I got the car home, I called Hagerty and they sent out an adjustor. The adjustor asked me what I wanted to do and I said the dents need to be repaired and then the whole car needs to be painted to match. He agreed with that, so I had the guy I wanted to do the repair bid it. After sending it to the adjustor, Hagerty sent someone out to confirm the value of the car, and then sent a check. The dents were repaired and then the whole car was painted. My situation was probably a bit different then just having one door but you might sell it the same way in that the paint won't match.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a very similar experience a few years ago with my 57 TBird. Hagerty was fine with repainting the entire car. Guess it depends on who your insurance company is.
That's good to know. I have Hagerty. I should hurry up and go with them beforere the other side's insurance accepts liability.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed in your profile that you are in the Los Angeles area. I live in Santa Clarita (about 45 minutes north of downtown). In the Castaic area where I live there is a Mustang yard that has dozens of OE doors. The name of the place is "Mustang MD".
Paul owns it and is a nice guy to work with. If you want OE sheet metal, He's the guy to see. If a repop door is what you are looking for, NPD is in Ventura. They will have your door.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1967 GT500
856 Posts
That stinks. Best insurance company will probably do is blend the paint on the fender and the quarter panel

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
First, that sucks! Have you contacted an auto supply and paint shop? They have color guns that can do a remarkable job at creating a paint formula. I have a local shop that I use for matching paints i need for vintage motorbikes.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
That stinks. I don't know that I would automatically want a complete repaint because you are adding more mils of paint. I've had repairs on the wife's cars, not her fault, with mile deep metallic and am not see the repair even years later. Would be best if you had a color code for sure.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It's not an original color, but I don't have the code. The seller gave me a bunch of receipts, but I wasn't able to locate the receipt for the paint. I'd love to keep the color. I did take it to a paint shop a while back to see if they could match the color, but they weren't able to. I'm sure there are more reputable places that could. Just hoping it doesn't look completely off after they try to match it.

I won't lie, I shed a few tears after this incident. Hope finding the door won't be difficult.
Maybe the previous owner could at least tell you where it was painted.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts