Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
Lotta interesting comments in this thread. Some are accurate, some probably not so much.
Insurance companies back in the day would have probably repainted the whole car. However,
because they "see" some shop somewhere that successfully matched paint, they think that
it's now a valid cost saving thing for them to just pay for the panel repaint. It's now your PITA
to find that one shop that can match paint perfectly. I hate insurance companies. I worked for one
as an automotive adjuster and investigator, once upon a time.

One poster on here mentioned how unbelievable it was that someone didn't see your car and
backed into it. Happens all the time. People are idiots in general that can't see past the tip of
their own nose. My '66 was hit just like that, hours out of the paint booth..... at a FORD dealership.
Most expensive $3 stop for a part ever.... it's Dupont Imron airplane paint on that car.

If Haggerty pays for the repair job and then files against whomever the van driver
has for insurance, that's called subrogation. Hopefully that doesn't raise your insurance
rates. That happens all the time too.

Reactions: rpm

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #24
So I finally got my car back. The shop ended up blending the paint to get a match but did an amazing job. One problem, my driver's side door, which was entirely replaced by a brand new door, has a different location for the side mirror than my passenger door. I've googled 66 Stang images, and it looks like some are similar to the passenger side and some similar to the driver's side. Can someone tell me why there's difference?

Registered
I've found the difference is due to your viewing angle when in the drivers seat. What ever location you choose, be mindful of the vent window's ability to swing "fully" open.

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #26
Not sure I understand your response. I was told the new drivers side door had pre-drilled holes for the side mirror, which is in a different location than before. The one before matched up with my passenger side mirror

Registered
Not sure I understand your response. I was told the new drivers side door had pre-drilled holes for the side mirror, which is in a different location than before. The one before matched up with my passenger side mirror
My point being, there "may" be a difference for the reasons I stated. Just because they are pre-drilled doesn't make them correct for you. Tape your mirror in the pre-drilled location. Can you adjust it to your satisfaction? Does it allow for the vent widow to be fully opened? Or, tape it where it was mounted on your previous door and check the same results.
In the end, it's up to you. If one is more forward than the other, it's there for a good reason.

Registered
Razzles avatar picture shows his original door mirror location matched his passenger door. Replacement door needed existing holes welded shut and new holes drilled to match passenger door. Body shop didn't notice the difference and just mounted the mirror after replacement. Razzle, was your drivers side mirror usable in the original location that matched the passenger side?

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #29
Razzles avatar picture shows his original door mirror location matched his passenger door. Replacement door needed existing holes welded shut and new holes drilled to match passenger door. Body shop didn't notice the difference and just mounted the mirror after replacement. Razzle, was your drivers side mirror usable in the original location that matched the passenger side?
Thanks for summarizing that perfectly. Yes, my driver's side mirror was usable in the original location. It's usable in the current location as well, but will take some getting used to, since I'll have to look through the small front window. It's also weird that both sides don't match.

I was just wondering where the location of these mirrors were on the original 66 mustangs? I've seen both locations on 66 coupes

Registered
Don't know where they got the door from but I haven't seen any new doors with holes already drilled.

Sounds like a cover up story where they screwed up or it was a returned door that someone else punched the holes into it and they didn't pay attention where the mirror was originally until it had been painted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #31
Don't know where they got the door from but I haven't seen any new doors with holes already drilled.

Sounds like a cover up story where they screwed up or it was a returned door that someone else punched the holes into it and they didn't pay attention where the mirror was originally until it had been painted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Considering I know the guy who did it pretty well, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the holes were pre-drilled. I'll do some research as well.

Registered
You will get used to it. Mine have been different since 1984. LOL!

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #33
But is there a "correct" position for the mirror? I'm trying to figure out whether I should raise hell about it, which will require them to repaint the entire door again with the newly positioned mirror. I'd prefer the mirror to be where it was on the previous door, but also don't want to deal with the agony.

Registered
But is there a "correct" position for the mirror? I'm trying to figure out whether I should raise hell about it, which will require them to repaint the entire door again with the newly positioned mirror. I'd prefer the mirror to be where it was on the previous door, but also don't want to deal with the agony.
Although there are many knowledgable members that follow this particular forum, you might pose your question on the Concours Forum for additional insight as to a "correct" position. Please keep us informed.

Dimples
Paint looks great, but that mirror position sucks. I would want that fixed. As far as 鈥渃orrect鈥 placement, they varied. A lot of mirrors got put on at the dealer with varying accuracy. There is a template out there somewhere that would put the mirror in the old position, which I would deem to be the most correct.

Registered
Paint looks great, but that mirror position sucks. I would want that fixed. As far as 鈥渃orrect鈥 placement, they varied. A lot of mirrors got put on at the dealer with varying accuracy. There is a template out there somewhere that would put the mirror in the old position, which I would deem to be the most correct.
I too have seen that template, many years ago when doing my restoration. 22GT will know.

Registered
I too have seen that template, many years ago when doing my restoration. 22GT will know.
Gee, I'm flattered. I'll have to dig that up. Meanwhile, bad news. The LH mirror is incorrectly located. Frankly, since the paint guy seems quite capable, have him move it to the correct location. A pain, but worth it in the long run. While I usually avoid general statements, I'll go out on a limb here and say Ford never, never, never, never, never installed the standard mirror in that location. Really.

Ah. Found it.

Registered
Gee, I'm flattered. I'll have to dig that up. Meanwhile, bad news. The LH mirror is incorrectly located. Frankly, since the paint guy seems quite capable, have him move it to the correct location. A pain, but worth it in the long run. While I usually avoid general statements, I'll go out on a limb here and say Ford never, never, never, never, never installed the standard mirror in that location. Really.

Ah. Found it.

View attachment 773714
YEAH!

Registered
I think that forward position on the left door was a Shelby thing, not a Ford thing. Usually used the bullet type mirrors. That鈥檚 where my mirrors are and I hate it. The vent window gets in the way, especially when it鈥檚 open, obstructing your view. I would have them move it. Good luck.

Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for your comments. While the body shop is offering to move it and repaint, I may choose to live with it. This is my current view.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts