Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to breakfast with my brother last week in the Mustang, and as usual I parked as far away from other cars as I could. Apparently it wasn't far enough! I came out to find that someone had backed into the car and smashed the bumper and rear quarter panel by the driver's side tail light.

The good thing is the guy was honest and left a not. Better yet, he worked for the local university and was on duty -- so there should be no problem getting them to pay for the repairs. I have 5 bids so far, highest is $2,600, which is from an auto restoration shop. He charges more but I know he'll do the repairs right -- and since it's not my money, why not?

Here's my dilema. My coupe is a driver, not a show car, and while it looks nice and I just recently spent a couple of grand having the floor boards and rear trunk area replaced, there are still some problem areas. Namely the outter wheel wells, and under the hood near the top of the fender (don't know what it's called but it's a common problem area I was told).

The restoration shop said that to do the whole car would cost between 6 and 8 thousand (done right mind you). He recommended that I pocket the money and sell the car or wait until I can afford to do the whole car. He'll repair the damage (which includes one of the outter wheel wells) but he said that a partial paint job will not match the existing paint exactly.

So, I guess I'm asking for your opinion...keep, sell, partial fix, wait til I can afford to repair the whole car, etc.?

One thought I had was to use the mone to buy a solid body from down south and transfer as much of my car to it and repaint it. Of course, even that route will cost far more than the $2,600 I've got to play with.

Thanks

PS, I wrote about trying to get my ac working on this car a couple of weeks ago -- got it running great (37 deg at the vent) the day before it was hit. :-(

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I would take the 2600 and have the car fixed back to the way it was before it was hit. At least that way you have a fairly nice looking car to drive. I would wait until you get the other money to have the rest of the car done.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
This is an i6 coupe, right?

I'd get it fixed. If you pocket the $2600 and try to sell a 6 cylinder with obvious damage you may get spanked and may not make up the $2600 difference on re-sale.
I think this would be especially painful after having spent a couple of grand to have the floors done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
personally id go easy on the guy... atleast he left a note, id go somewhere else that would do it right and cost less and have them fix it. ive been ran into twice and neither one left a note and never found out who, those are the ppl id hit with the most expensive bill i could, not the honest joe who has respect for you, besides hitting your car. my .02, why punish the honest and let the dishonest go free?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I do admire him for his honesty and I told him that to his face (we had to meet at the police department to fill out a report). You're right, 9 out of 10 people would have just split.

But that's really got nothing to do with getting my car fixed right. He's an employee of the University of Michigan and believe, it won't be coming out of his pocket. They are covered and covered well -- and my car is far from being the first to be hit by an UM truck.

Like I said, I did thank the driver for leaving a note, but keep in mind that it's easier to be honest when 1) it's not your money and 2) there were witnesses and 3) it's a place you go to several times a week. I'm not trying to hose anyone, just get my car fixed to the standards that it was at before the accident. Having to take a day off from work to get estimates and having to live with a car whose paint job will be two slightly different shades doesn't make me feel sorry for the UM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts