Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I've got everything ready to pull the engine and transmission on the car.

Problem: The engine hoist I borrowed won't raise more than about three inches. I'm no expert on hydraulics. I tried adding fluid--no luck. I tried to bleed the air out of the cylinder by laying it on it's side, opening the cylinder all the way, opening the valve, and compressing the cylinder until it squirted fluid. No luck.

Any suggestions?

I wanted to get this engine and tranny out tonight, definitely by tomorrow, so the car can go to the body shop this week.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.Most hoists are self bleeding.If adding fluid didn't help,then there is probably an O ring that's bad.That 'out by tommorrow'thing?I just don't see it happening with that hoist.Sorry :(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it out!!!

I learned something today, probably elementary to most, but figured I'd share just in case.

I thought the valve at the base where you release pressure is also where you add the fluid. NOT TRUE!!! On this cylinder there was what looked like a rivet, painted the same color as the body of the cylinder, about 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the cylinder. Turns out that was a rubber plug to add fluid through. Added fluid, bled the cylinder a couple of times(pump it all the way up, then drop it back down, then pull FILLER PLUG--not check valve at bottom--air will vent out). VOILA!!! Pump works!!! Engine and tranny were resting comfortably on the garage floor last night before we went to bed!!! Something went (almost) right for once!
::
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts