Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels so good I could smell it. The exhaust that is. I fired up the W tonight. Only for a second because there is no exhaust system. I couldn't believe it. I installed the MSD, put a little fuel down the carb, grabbed the fire extinguisher and hit the switch. It fired on the first turn! For those of you who have not heard, last fall I bought a fresh hopped up 351 W from a guy at a swap meet. He had a long list of goodies that he said he put into it including forged pistons, mildly wild cam, redone heads with roller rockers and a bunch of other stuff I either didn't understand or have forgotten. He said it should put out just over 400 hp.
Well, my son decided that since the pickup I wanted to put it in wasn't done, why not put it in his '66? Guppie here said O-K. We have been working on it together for three months, installing all new steering components and replacing some frame steel in the front end. Well there is a big local car show this weekend and the boy is off to Australia until this Thursday, so guess who is putting all of the finnishing touches on, like the motor mounts, intake, ignition etc...
He is a reas good kid, so I am happy to do it although I am by no means a mechanic.
Getting back to my progress; I got it running and it sounds meaner than a gut shot bear! Tomorrow I will have a buddy make some temporary exhaust, so I can adjust the timing and valves. Thursday, it gets the H exhaust, new tires and alignment. Should be ready by showtime on Saturday.
I am SO pumped!
(Should a 48 year old man get this excited about a car? No, I guess I am excited because I know what it will mean to the boy.)
Sorry about the rant, but God, that engine sounded cool!
Jus had to vent before I go to bed.
Nite.

JB

·
Registered
553 Posts
hey that wasnt a rant. it sounds like you are making some great progress and for all the right reasons. with all the pitfalls and such associated with owning a vintage stang it's good to know it can bring family members together. i'm sure when your son gets back and sees the work you've done he will remember that first drive and carshow forever. good job!

i always try to get my dad to help me work on my car but he is sometimes too busy, too tired etc. he's got projects and such of his own, not car related but other stuff. plus i've got 2 brothers, just now reaching driving age, still living back at home with my parents. so i cant monopolize all the time. now i keep my car garaged at my grandparents house since i live in an apartment. i cant keep my grandfather away from that car even if i wanted to! no matter what i'm out there doing he's out there to help or just watch and tell a story. it's a great thing, hearing all these stories from back in the hot rod heydays of the late fortys and fifties. my grandfather is getting up there in age, survived two tour of duties in Veitnam (which he volunteered for), had open heart surgery 2 years ago, and celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary yesterday. i'm glad to spend this time with him, and you should enjoy all the time working on the car with and without your son. it will be a point of pride he can tell his kids about. these days only come around once... better make sure to take note to enjoy and remember them.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Now that's what I call fun!!!!

400 ponies are fun aren't they?!?!
anything above that is total bliss.....

:)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Your story about your grandfather reminded me of when I was younger. My grandpa died about 10 years ago when I was 18. He and I used to work on all kinds of projects. There were always stories. Great stories about when he was a kid and when my mother was a kid. I took these times for granted. I thought he would be around for many years to repeat the stories. Now with that said the reason for my post is while you and grandpa are out working on the car or just bs'ing get a tape recorder and record some of the stories. It is something I wish I would have done. I sure miss hearing those stories.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Excitement is contageous, and you have good reason to be so.....I'm excited for you. Congrats!

I wish my father enjoyed wrenching on cars with me! Dickson

1 - 7 of 7 Posts