Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After winning a car today on e-ay (sniping at the last second) I made arrangments with the seller to pick up the car friday and all was great... A few minutes ago I get this email from one of the other bidders that I sniped out. What do you think? How should I respond to this email?

"Me and the seller of the car have been talking well before the auction was over. He was supose to close the auction when he recieved my deposit for the car. The deposit was sent out Friday, August 10th. I'm not saying that you didn't win the auction but just wait to pay until the situation between me and the seller is settled... Thnx"

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Simply respond that you will do no such thing at this point. You will contact the seller, while forwarding a copy of his/her email to the seller as well. Say that you will follow directions from the seller, and even if what he says is true...all bids are considered legal contracts according to e-*ay . Whatever verbal agreements were made seem questionable. Do you know when that bidder made his bid? If his story were true, wouldn't the seller also contact you with the same story? Also, was there ample time between his bid to allow for this so called agreement? I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He made his last bid on August 7th, 3 days before he supposedly sent out the deposit. He should've sent out the deposit earlier to avoid this situation. I also find it hard to believe that it took 5-6 days for his deposit to reach the seller (especially assuming they live in the area)

Thanks for the info, I'm emailing them back with what you said

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Don't buy that BS, Corey. That's all it is! Follow your own contract with the seller. If what the other guy says is legitimate, the seller will notify you, not the other guy. Do what you have to do. You cannot control the seller nor the other buyer.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Tell him to pound dirt, then deal only with the seller. The seller didn't end the auction early, you were the high bidder, you and the seller now have a contract. If the seller backs out, contact eeebaaayy, and leave negative feed back on the seller, hopefully getting him kicked off, or at least not do this to other people.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also want to add... thank the seller for adding in their terms of sale, especially: "This is a legal and binding contract"

G

·
First, give a copy. Second, don't respond. Third, reap what you sow. I have sniped only because on more occasions than I want to admit I was sniped only to have them try to sell me the parts at an inflated price. should address this issue. After buying & selling cars at auction for 20 years... this isn't possible & if something like it happened, rest assured, it'll go outside. I try not to buy anything on unless it's a must have(like my 429 fender emblems for my Spoiler), then I just use the buy it now.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I can almost bet money that the other bidder never even sent off a deposit as he told you, and I would also bet the seller isn't even aware of such a transaction. After reviewing the other bidders feedback, and seeing he has only 19 and several complaints about not honoring his end of many deals, this guy is a looser!

Just incase, I would contact the other bidder and ask for a copy of the emails that were sent between him and the seller securing the supposed deal. and then leave it at that regardless of what is said in the emails. I would then contact the seller and see what he has to say about this whole thing? The seller may not even be aware of this guys shady feedback. And if the sellers does respond with acknowledgement of a prior deal, I would personally not send any money to the seller and instead, if you still want the car, make the deal in person with cash in hand, if he refuses and wants a deposit, I would walk and tell him good luck with the other guy and his deposit.

Also let him know, that if you receive any negative feedbacks because of your backing out, you will contact e(B)ay with all of your email correspondence between him, the other bidder and yourself, and let e(B)ay reprimand him.

A little detective work goes a long way in covering your own butt sometimes. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, Nice car! Looks good!!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, i completely forgot that he was the guy with the terrible feedback! thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, how exactly did you figure out who this bidder was??

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Don't you remember? You told me.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

And here I thought I was the one with the fading memory! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Send the guy a note and tell him you've allready picked up the
car, tell him the seller gave you a new engine a extra parts
car and came down on the price. Then sit and giggle as that idiot runs around his house pissed of for the next week

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Damn Billgear, you're such an inflammatory person.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update... received this email from the seller:

We never received his deposit. The car is yours. Will call today.
Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wauld also send a copy of the complaining bidder's e-mail to the auction site. They could add it to his ever growing negative file. What it sounds like is you would get negative feedback, he would possibly get the car for his lower bid, and the seller would be getting ripped off and thinking you were irresponsible. The looser does not deserve any more communication. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be careful on e-ay they have nothing legal or binding about anything. They say that stuff up front but if you send some one your money and they send you junk or nothing there is little you can do, and at that point e-ay starts relying on "voluntary cooperation" BE CAREFUL I will never use them again. Too risky.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Don't respond to him until you have the car in your driveway. Then send him a picture of the car in a email taken in your driveway and ask how he likes your new car.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts