Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the Webmaster for the North Texas Mustang Club and want your opinion on my work.

I'm NOT a professional Web designer nor do I pretend to be one, I was the only one who volunteered to help. To my suprise I've received many complements on the site and only a few bad comments.

My main question is whether or not you like or dislike the background. I like it myself because it is a little different, but I have a nice monitor that is bright. I've had 2 people(out of 427 average users per week) this year complain that it is too dark.

What do you think? I'll accept opinions on any aspect of the site
Thanks VMF

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It passed the most important test - loaded in about 30 seconds on my 56k /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The 'text linking' is a very good idea, and helps the loading times too. I like it - good work! Did you code it? ( HTML ) Learning a bit of that myself, as a hobby, and its tough to master!

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
You say you're not a professional but you did an excellent job! I have seen professionally done pages that SUCK compared to yours. My wife & I are thinking about coming down to a show or two your way sometime soon, looks like it'll be worth the trip from Tulsa. Keep up the good work, I'm sure your club appreciates it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I typically like a dark background and yours looks good. The logo is very cool. The outline and text don't jump off the page and distract you, it is subtle. Nice.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The header image map does not jump out as a navigation feature. I would recommend breaking the logo out of the picture and enlarging the nav items and enhancing with java roll overs or a dhtml swap effect if they have to remain an image, other wise go to text because the image compression looses the crispness of the text..

G

·
0 Posts
I pulled it up on an old laptop (40 MHz, 16 colors, 56K modem) and it looks and loads fine.

Some people don't like the reverse video effect (dark background with lighter text) and there really isn't much you can do about that unless you want to go with another background.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
background is good. not to dark and not to distracting from what is on top. I like it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I like it...

I'm the web master for the http://www.copperstatemustangclub.com web site.

Its hard IMHO to make a website look good with a black background but you've done a good job.
Everything is organized and easy to read, the most important thing in a web site, IMHO.
You're using good colored fonts, so its not too dark. Remember, you can't make EVERYBODY happy.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a Web editor, Just don't have time to code it line by line. It is tough to master, I battle keeping commands in my head for the various network systems I work on, I don't need more commands to remember /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Looks good to me. And as has been mentioned, better than some so called Pro sites I've seen.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

It's short notice, but you should come down for the Yellow Rose show in August. It is a great show, it's indoors, air conditioned, and the Living Legends Tour will be there...of course I'm sure you saw it in Tulsa at the Shelby Meet.

Speaking of the Shelby meet I'm definately going next year and would love to see PrarieBronze and the rest of the stable.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that is the part I like the least. It looked good in Photoshop when I created it, but once it was created and saved as a GIF it was somewhat distorted.

I'd love to build a Nav bar with java roll overs or swap effect, but I'm not skilled in java or dhtml and haven't found a good newbie tool for this yet. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for your comments, much more positive than I expected. The club membership seems happy with the results and that is the most important thing.

2bav8 is right, I can't make everyone happy.

I think I'll keep the current color theme and work on the navigation bar and the look of the forums and classifieds section.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nick is right.. i did not even notice the nav bar when i first looked at the page, i thought it was the header. you may consider making a table span the width of the page and putting the nav bar in that... although that may ruin the look of the page. you make also consider putting some sort of color around the nav bar, or simply stating "navavagation bar" at the top of the image.

as for javascript, its REALLY easy. check out www.pageresource.com

- Jason

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree about the Nav bar, I'll work on that in the next week or so. I've tried to keep all of the graphics and tables under 800 points wide for those with smaller monitors.

Thanks for the link.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm probably going to bring the drag car, '65, & my SVO next year... if I'm employed. I was told all your spaces were taken. Gonna come nonetheless. Sounds like a really great show!!!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
To clean up the header navigation you could try arranging all the links into 5 catagories, and downlaoding and customizing a cascading menu from here http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/

I looked at your links and thought the navigation could be simplified into 4 categories (my naming convention and use of advise is as always optional /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

1. Front Office - History, Meetings, Membership, Officers, Race Team, Members Rides

2. In the Sun - Coming Events, Yellow Rose, Cruise Nights, Event Photos

3. In the Shade - Useful Sites(links), Tech Talk, Classifieds, Forums

4. Contact Us

The return to home page link is commonly accepted as linkable from the header logo for the company page.

Just my$ .02

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I like your page with one exception; the blue text. I am color-deficient, so my eyes don't see things in a normal way and I find it almost impossible to see blue on a dark background. Yours is better than most though.

Good work.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have horrible vision, but superior color perception so it is easy for me to forget that not everyone sees the varying shades that I see.

Is it all of the blue text or just the dark blue text. How does the part in the middle that says North Texas Mustang Club and NTMC Event Hotline look to you?

Thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts