Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am getting ready to re-skin both doors on my 67 Stang. I figured this would be a good time to put some sort of sound barrier on the door skin prior to install. I have read through some posts and have already picked out a kit for the whole car but its $750.00 Dynamat Xtreme sound barrier. This kit is really nice, however I $750 is expensive. I have 2 questions:

1) Would some of this: B-Quiet Ultimate 50 sq.ft. Roll be good for the skin of the door?
2) Do you guys think this kit: Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories is worth it or is there a better route?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Stang

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
I can't comment on the quality of Dynamat vs. B-Quiet but wanted to chip in to say that I wouldn't put ANY peel-n-stick type mat in the door skins. Water runs down the inside of the door and out the bottom, and will get trapped between the door and mat and cause rust. While most cars on this board don't see rain frequently, I still wouldn't do it.

Were I you, I'd spray a good thick layer of undercoating / bedliner inside the doors on the door skin. That's how I've done my car and apparently that's how they were done from factory. No way for moisture to get in between the paint and the panel, and achieves the same result. My doors close with a very solid thunk now and the sound deadening was substantially improved by it.

Also, a lot of sound deadening is achieved just by adding mass to a panel to stop it from vibrating and resonating. You don't necessarily need to cover the entire panel to get this effect. Knowing that will save you quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't comment on the quality of Dynamat vs. B-Quiet but wanted to chip in to say that I wouldn't put ANY peel-n-stick type mat in the door skins. Water runs down the inside of the door and out the bottom, and will get trapped between the door and mat and cause rust. While most cars on this board don't see rain frequently, I still wouldn't do it.

Were I you, I'd spray a good thick layer of undercoating / bedliner inside the doors on the door skin. That's how I've done my car and apparently that's how they were done from factory. No way for moisture to get in between the paint and the panel, and achieves the same result. My doors close with a very solid thunk now and the sound deadening was substantially improved by it.

Also, a lot of sound deadening is achieved just by adding mass to a panel to stop it from vibrating and resonating. You don't necessarily need to cover the entire panel to get this effect. Knowing that will save you quite a bit of money.
That makes sense. I will spray undercoating on the skin. I am just having a hard time coming to terms with $750 for sound barrier material. Must be because it's pre cut...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There is an expensive label on the outside of the $750 precut kit, so it must be better ....

Much like Bose, you pay a bunch for the name (and the marketing that earned that "name") but there are better options both in value and performance.

I like RAAMmat products, but I have used a lot of stuff over the years including Dynamat; the premium price did not translate to "premium" performance. B Quiet, Second Skin, do a little Google work and read some reviews. If you are really curious look around at a few car audio forums, they dive WAY in to this topic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts