Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the several unusual things about my coupe is that there never was any sound deadener applied on the firewall. I'm not kidding--absolutely none! Guess the guy in charge of that on the line at Dearborn was taking a break when Murphy rolled by.

Well, at every National and Grand National I lose a point for not having the sound deadener. That doesn't seem like too big a deal, but the car can only lose 21 points for a Gold and I'm guaranteed to lose one or two on the antenna alone. I'm just trying to cut my margin of error down as much as possible. Sound deadener is something I can live with...I hope.

So, I've decided that I will concede to putting a little obligatory sound deadener on the fire wall. All I need now is some advice on how to do this the easiest and least intrusive way that will still meet the requirement.

Charles, Pete, Jeff--any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Mine had just a tad of sound deaner between the heater motor and fender apron. I duplicated the effect by dipping an old paint brush in a container of roofing sealant and daubing it on. Then I painted over it with semigloss.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's all I have, just a lot of gunk around the a/c water control parts, but none really on the wall. Some do take my word, most don't. I even have pictures of from when I first took the engine apart way back in 1985 and it can clearly be seen that there is no sound deadener on the firewall.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
The sound deadener I thought they were talking about was where the person on the assembly line cleaned of the tip of the sealer hose by rubbing it on the firewall, typically right behind the carburetor and 2" below the cowl seam.
Mine is clean now (my preference) but was thinking of just doing this same kind of thing with polyurethane sealer. It's just a little dab about 1-2" long and 1/4" thick

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can get by with just a small amount. All the judges know we don't wan't that crap in our engine compartments after all that hard work. I used a spray can of undercoat after liberally masking adjoining areas with aluminum foil(works great to contain overspray)and sprayed very carefully a small area above the heater motor and worked left towords the fender apron. Judges don't look for duplication of the origional slop, they just want to see some. No points off since. ::

G

·
0 Posts
Go to a paint supply store, they should have undercoating in a black spray can made by a company called Evercoat, stuff works great, looks identical to original and can be built up if you like.

Try to keep it from getting on the engine or trans, the undercoating/sealer on the firewall was applied before the motor was decked.

G

·
0 Posts
I prefer to see original slop, makes the car look more genuine. I only deduct if there is absolutely none on the firewall. Too many over-restored cars for my taste.. but what do I know ::

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's the problem, keeping everything else clean. Judging-wise, would it be acceptable (to you) if I only put it on the firewall by the a/c heater control valve. It's the easiest to get to, and I could blend it into that area somewhat. Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I would expect to see at least a touch around where the various wiring comes through into the engine bay and a little around where the steering column comes through.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, thanks, guess I'll clench my teeth, close my eyes, and mess up my firewall. At least doing it that way it will look factory original. ::

1 - 14 of 14 Posts