Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when redoing a convertible interior, where are the best places to put the sound deadener besides on the floor board? i have heard of putting it on doors, the firewall, and behind kick panels; but would it really be worth it in a convertible when the top is down and you will get road noise anyways? also, should sound deadener be placed in the headliner of a coupe? any comments would help. thanks

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
For folks willing to shell out the bucks for Dynamat – yes, it does make a difference in the doors and other places. It absorbs vibrations resulting in a quieter ride. When stuck in the doors, it gives a much more solid slam. And in coupes and fastbacks, it does indeed work on the roof panel. The more – the better!

In your convert, I'd suggest every panel that you can access. And it doesn't need to cover the whole panel. Just a hunk in the middle will do the trick.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would put it everywhere you can as suggested previously. However, Dynamat and related asphalt products are only dampners. To achieve the best results you need to combine the dampner with an absorber such as jute padding. I am just about finished with my car, so I will be able to provide results very shortly. I am not even using dynamat in the entire floorboard, just the back section that vibrates the most, and I am using the original type asphalt based material on the rest of the car, followed by some layers of jute padding. However you would like to do it, I would combine a dampner and an absorber for best results, and the more places you can get them in, the better the results.

Dave

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
I'm a firm believer in putting extra insulation on the firewall, toeboards, and transmission tunnel. Not for sound, but heat. An old MG vert I used to own roasted me alive in the summer until I did this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts