Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the sound quality of the 120 watt 6.5" pioners that come in the kick panels from various parts distrubuters compared to say type S Alpines or rocksford Fosgate???

Is it worth buying them empty and getting a good set of speakers or are the pioners a good buy??? (i.e. good bass and treble at higher volume with little distortion)???

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Is it worth buying them empty and getting a good set of speakers or are the pioners a good buy??? (i.e. good bass and treble at higher volume with little distortion)???
I know I would...I built the rest of the [email protected] car, I'll pick the speakers.. ::

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have had good luck with 6.5" Pioneers in the past, in fact I think that they sound much better than the Rockfords. However, "good" sound is such a subjective term, that I would suggest going to a stereo shop that has the Pioneers in their display and listening yourself. I know they won't sound exactly the same as they will in your car, but at least you can get some feel for how you like their sound.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't know how they sound, but judging by the prices with and without them, I would Pass on the speakers and pick my own. I personally don't like much of pioneers products, and I don't know what the alpine speakers sound like. My suggestion would be a good Alpine head unit and a set of MB Quartz speakers. I don't know what kind of sound you want, but the Quatz's are amazing for highs. If you want bass go with a small subwoofer. Remember that the speakers will only sound as good as the head and amp will let them.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You can get much better sounding speakers that the Pioneer's they sell with the kick panels. I got Infinity Kappa component speakers. I put the bass/midrange in the kick panels and the tweeters where the window cranks used to be (I, also, have electric windows).

Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Timspics/Mustang/Interior/P8080031.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
That all depends on what your looking for. Is this a basic setup or do you have an expensive/exotic stereo unit. The Pioneers are descent speakers but if your looking to enjoy the stereo on a different level check out sound proofing your interior. It will make a world of a difference. If you want to go crazy, Pioneer does offer surround sound set up for your car. Adding a DVD set up to that system will make you go broke but the sound quality is awsome. :)
P.S. The Squalies (girls) love it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i plan on tacking the car on some long trips (ie washington to soutern california) and I wanted to knoe if they would be sufficient for a 14 hour long ride full of undistored loudness.

·
Registered
79 Posts
All speakers have their limits... how much power will you be using versus their power rating? distortion is what kills speakers. Look for RMS power rating and not peak power ratings. RMS is constant true wattage. I agree with the others about selecting your own. A good car audio person could give you some good suggestions. Listen to them pick the one you like and mach power ratings.
Good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anybody that bought speakers seperate had clearance issues? I bought some 6.5" Sony components that should have fit with the given dimensions, but was about 3/8-1/2" too deep.

But yeah, I would definetly buy seperate (assuming they fit).

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bought them with the pioneer speaker they are ok, in my case better as my head unit has a high and low pass filter, i have them crossed over at 120hz so they arent overdriven. I dont care what speakers you put in them just dont expect a lot of bass from them as the kickpanels dont have any dampening. the one thing i did to to mine is i took the grills off and painted them the same color i painted the kick panels.. they dont stand out as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts