Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you all think is the best way to go with getting a modern sound system in a 65 mustang?

as of now i have no radio watsoever. i dont really want to cut the dash and put in the normal cd decks. but if someone has done it and it worked alright i'd feel a little better.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I installed my deck in the glovebox. It can be a little hard to reach, so if you do this I highly recommend getting a deck with a remote. I swear by Alpine, but there are other good brands too. I then have 2 4-way 6x9's in the package tray. They have phenomenal sound. I would recommend you get at least 3 ways, 4 ways if you can find them (this means that there are 4 speakers in the one 6x9, a woofer, mid, tweeter and super tweeter.

Also because I have loud exhaust, I have two 10 inch subs in the trunk. I actually was into rap/hip hop when I bought these many years ago, but I have kept them because they really improve the sound of any music (no loud bass music for me anymore). You will need an amp for subs, and they wouldn't hurt your 6x9's either.

Others have installed hidden decks as well that look better than mine. I hust bought a mounting plate from best buy. I then installed it, reinforcing the top with a strip of aluminum. I then vut a hole in the back of the glove box for the deck to stick out of so the glove box door could close. I also reinforced the back with some thick cardboard, and it is holding a lot of the weight of the deck.

I took these pics right after the install, so it looks a little messy. It looks a lot better in real life, and sounds great!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2404000-2404999/2404618_7_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2404000-2404999/2404618_8_full.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
If it were me, I'd cut the dash to put a good-looking modern cd player in there. I'd get one with USB-based Ipod connectivity (like a Pioneer Premier unit), running the Ipod wire to the glove box or ash tray so you can hide the ipod in there. I'd get the speaker kick panels and some nice JBL Power Series 5.25" or 6.5" speakers, and then I'd run some JBL Power 6x9's in the rear package tray. I'd power them on a 4 channel amplifier, which you could mount to the back of the rear seat.

Cheers,
Joseph Knight

·
Registered
382 Posts
isn't subs in a metal car a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I bookmarked this guys Website a while back. I think he did a nice clean install.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I used the glovebox and made an ABS 1/8" plastic to frame it in thanks to stroked66 with the suggestion.

Here is a few pics:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/538000-538999/538694_36.jpg

Installed old shot. Modified it now to be centered no pics of that though.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/538000-538999/538694_44.jpg

As far as speakers: 4" infinity kappas in the dash 6 1/2 kappas front kick panels and 8" jlaudio subs for the rear.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have to admit that I don't really see the point of mounting a cd player in the glovebox or in a console when it's easily possible to mount it in the dash, or under the dash even. In my '66 Fairlane, it wasn't feasible to remove the factory radio because it sat behind the same lens that covered the speedometer, so I just mounted my CD player in an ABS plastic sleeve under the dash. It turned out fine.

In a car that is driven, not concours restored, where you want to have tunes (meaning the car isn't a race car or replica of one) and has modern upgrades anyway, what is the point of hiding a CD player? You can lock the faceplate in the glovebox when you park your car if 'security' is your concern. We don't hide modern disc brakes under drum-looking covers (though some '32 roadster guys do, lol), and we certainly don't mind having radial tires on modern wheels. What gives?

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
312 Posts
UGAstang said:
I have to admit that I don't really see the point of mounting a cd player in the glovebox or in a console when it's easily possible to mount it in the dash, or under the dash even. In my '66 Fairlane, it wasn't feasible to remove the factory radio because it sat behind the same lens that covered the speedometer, so I just mounted my CD player in an ABS plastic sleeve under the dash. It turned out fine.

In a car that is driven, not concours restored, where you want to have tunes (meaning the car isn't a race car or replica of one) and has modern upgrades anyway, what is the point of hiding a CD player? You can lock the faceplate in the glovebox when you park your car if 'security' is your concern. We don't hide modern disc brakes under drum-looking covers (though some '32 roadster guys do, lol), and we certainly don't mind having radial tires on modern wheels. What gives?

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

-Joseph Knight
I always assumed it was for security purposes. These cars aren't exactly impregnable.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I never understood why people were so afraid to cut the dash and put in a modern radio. The excuse is "well, I may want to make it stock again some day". How many people actually do that? If you car is concours correct, that's one thing, but if it's a custom, why not?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
For some of us it's the challange of adding something without carving
up the car! It's your car, carve it if you want! I've never had a concours/show car.
I just like the challange! To me kick panel speakers aren't carving. Trunk
mounted subs aren't carving. For sure they aren't concours acceptable!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
+1 for the Pioneer Premier components with the Ipod adapter.

Sig pic car has these components installed and the sound quality is great.

Dave

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sure cutting the dash looks crappy, if it's done poorly.

On the other hand, if you choose a head unit that looks good, and have a professional stereo shop handle the installation if you don't feel comfortable wielding a sawzall, dremel or whatever, then it can look very nice.

If you swear you'll return your unit to stock someday, you can always mount your modern cd player under the dash, in a plastic sleeve. Like I said, this worked great in my '66 Fairlane--it was mounted much in the same way as many people mounted 8-tracks or FM receivers back in the 60s.
Lots of head units have little words printed all over them advertising the technology they're compatible with, and I think these look awful. Pioneer's head units don't, which is why I like them, compared to, say, a Kenwood unit. If you were to just do a little research, you could find out that Pioneer makes a great quality unit called the DEH-P880PRS that even has the classic two-knob interface.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6822_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P880PRS.html

check it out, I think it would look great in a classic Mustang, and know a few VMFers already are using it.

This is the one I plan on using:

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9008_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P690UB.html

mainly because of it's USB-linked Ipod interface, which allows you to scroll through the songs using the rotary knob at the same speed you'd scroll through on your ipod.

Both of these are great looking units, and they're plenty of others out there, too. If I could afford it, I'd put a McIntosh receiver in there, which is the same kind that Ford used in the new GT. If you don't mind dropping about $1600 on a head unit and amplifier (they don't have an internal amplifier for clarity reason) but want a CD player that looks like it could have been designed in the 60s, McIntosh is the company that makes it. Extremely high-end stuff.

I think any of these options look and function better than having to open your glove box to change the radio station or even the volume.

So far as security goes, nearly any modern receiver has a removable faceplate which can be locked in your glove box, trunk, wherever. The receiver is useless without the faceplate to control it.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to build your car; it doesn't matter to me that much at all. The original poster just asked for advice, so that's what I'm giving. There are options out there other than hiding your cd player away, and good looking options at that. Finally, do what you want, as you will anyway. It's your car. :)

For me, I'll have a modern CD player mounted in the dash of mine.

-Joseph K.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Great looking unit? Maybe, but it doesn't mesh well with the classic 40 year old look of my Mustang.

When I set out to build my car, my goal was a car that had all of the performance upgrades (including sound) but with a bone stock look to it.
So hacking my dash would not fit with this, now would it.

Plus anyone who has repaired one of these dashes can tell you what a huge PITA it is, and that is another reason why I think it is a sin to cut the dash.

Plus, for those of us who don't drive their Mustang everyday, it isn't that big of a deal to open the glove box to change the radio. While I love the sound system in my Mustang, I am really not in the car to listen to music ;)
I can just drive with the glove box open, and then close it when I get to my destination. The car goes back to looking stock, and no one is tempted to break in. If you really can't understand why people would want this or why many think modern decks look ugly in vintage cars, then I suppose you just have a very different view of our hobby.

But hey, as the old saying goes: "It's your car..."

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
fast68back said:
I bookmarked this guys Website a while back. I think he did a nice clean install.
Impressive site and construction, poor choice of components though. Thanks for the link, adding that to my collection!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well seeing as that i couldnt afford 600 dollar kick panels and just wanted to hear SOME music...i had not has a radio in my stang in 6 months i put a classic stang ready tape player and a single middle dash speaker with dual cones. all of it only cost probably 150 bucks. Then i use a tape adapter for my ipod when i want to pick from 1200 songs!!! I would say kick panels are great but to keep it original looking do a ken harrison stang radio with single speaker. Hey atleast it will be some music.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well do they make classic mustang radios that fit in the stock radio place which also makes it look stock but has an ipod adapter?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts