Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has been looking for some replacement caliper hoses for their Versailles rear brakes I have found an eBay seller by the name of goodbrakes who has a custom brake hose shop called Brake Hoses Unlimited that makes new braided stainless hoses. The OEM style replacements have been discontinued for years now. I found this to be a good option. I will find out how well they fit shortly.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Interested to know how these fit. Also if possible can you take pictures how all these hoses are fitted, since I know there is also a small hard line between one of these or maybe 2? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is what the hoses look like on the car. They fit just like the OEM type hoses. I really wish Ford would have made the caliper hoses so they didn't come into contact with the leaf spring. I had this problem with the original hoses too. I assume all the Lincoln's had it too. Maybe the line coming out of the caliper can be tweaked slightly to alter the angle but really dont want to damage it. Ignore the ugly paint on the axle tubes. Really wish that still looked nice like it did when I painted it years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
When installed in the Versailles there was a metal box that had rubber shims in it that surrounded the leaf springs to isolate the rear end from the springs. Everybody that installs the Versailles rear end in a Mustang throws those boxes and rubber shims in the trash. If those parts were installed on your car the rear end would be raised up relative to the springs and the hoses would not touch the springs.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I used them before for my rear hose, Its hard to beat perfect. Well unless you add the race red outer DOT covering.:)
Since many of the ends are the same they can make about anything to any length and in a variety of colors.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When installed in the Versailles there was a metal box that had rubber shims in it that surrounded the leaf springs to isolate the rear end from the springs. Everybody that installs the Versailles rear end in a Mustang throws those boxes and rubber shims in the trash. If those parts were installed on your car the rear end would be raised up relative to the springs and the hoses would not touch the springs.
You mean like this ..................

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean like this ..................
Well, That's intersting! This is the first time I ever saw those leaf spring insulators before. Weren't included with my rear end when I picked it up.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never knew of such a thing. Guess they were tossed out like you said.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short of sourcing those factory insulators or adding lowering blocks, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice way to protect the new hoses from chaffing against the springs? It wasn't really an issue for the last 11 years with the old hoses. I could see a light mark on them. I would like to keep these in good shape though.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Short of sourcing those factory insulators or adding lowering blocks, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice way to protect the new hoses from chaffing against the springs?
Bend the 90* fitting at the caliper to move the hose away from the spring.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Fastback
948 Posts

here’s my 66 with Versailles 9-inch and discs. The rubber hose doesn’t rub on anything but I may reduce the bends of the hose after looking at this photo a bit. However, it hasn’t been an issue over the past 5 years I’ve had it on the road.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Around 1990 I needed a rear brake hose for my 70 Cougar and it wasn't available. A brake shop was able to use the original brass fittings and somehow silver-solder braided hose to replace the rubber hose.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
View attachment 752487

here’s my 66 with Versailles 9-inch and discs. The rubber hose doesn’t rub on anything but I may reduce the bends of the hose after looking at this photo a bit. However, it hasn’t been an issue over the past 5 years I’ve had it on the road.
That hose is what GoodBrakes off eba would be good for. You could chose an angled end or just spec a hose an inch or two shorter to relieve those stressful bends.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bend the 90* fitting at the caliper to move the hose away from the spring.
That was my first thought. Just afraid with my luck it'll kink or break. May try to gently bend it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts