Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are more than two thirds the way through a restoration of my 1968 GT500 convertible. When I bought her I was thrilled to see an original set of 10 spoke rims. We recently started to remove the paint a prior owner had applied between the spokes and in the spoke recesses. After the paint is removed we find that the aluminum has some stains as well as a dull gray appearance. In addition, the rim face has some small pitting perhaps due to stone impacts. My question to the Forum: Is there someone who reconditions these 10 spoke rims? Preferably someone who has a great referece from a satisfied VMF customer. Another question, has anyone else reconditioned a set of 10 spokes ... What was your process / materials used? Advice appreciated. Rick

·
Registered
21,084 Posts
I got a reconditoned aluminum rim for my Mazda 626 from Keystone. I have to say it looked like a brand new one! I realize my Mazda and your Shelby are two different animals and your aprehention of sending original rims to them. What about Stockton wheel in Stockton CA?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Rick, I did my own last year. I used a wheel buffing kit from Eastwood and although they came out great I would say they are a lot more polished than they were new. New they have a slightly dull shine to them. I chose to polish them a little more as they are easier to take car of. My research shows that the gray paint over the rough cast was silver argent. Noting more than a lot of masking and cutting with and exacto knife. Mine didn't have any serious nicks or scratches but they can be sanded out prior to buffing. If you want someone to do them I hear Jim Cowles @ Shelbyparts does them. Here is a link to Pete Disher's web page, the wheel on the bottom is mine.

http://www.1968cobra.com/spokes.HTML

There are several version of originals, do you know which ones you have? I have seen 3 versions used 67-68. Chances are they were added @ dealer or after as only 3 cars were known to leave AO Smith w/ 10 spokes.
Tim

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I can endorse Specialty Wheel in Sandy OR. I don't know if they do 10 spokes, but they did a dandy job on my Magstars.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you decide not to recondision your wheels, there is a new wheel being made by American Racing that looks close. Its a very sharp wheel. And the price is GREAT.

·
Registered
532 Posts
ours were severely pitted and these guys restored them.
they were put on a lathe and machined, painted and clearcoated.
understand the spokes and outer rim appeared machined when new. hope this helps.
http://www.fixrim.com/

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Make sure you get them clearcoated. Mine (15-year-old reproductions) are not and they corrode if you look at them funny. Honestly, if they get wet I have to wipe the water off IMMEDIATELY or it will etch the aluminum within 12 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts