Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the rental place the other day returning the hoist I needed to pick up my new engine (actually old engine but anyway) and I got to thinking. They rent everything under the sun there, but in particular I was thikning of getting a monster compressor (100-150 cfm) along with a 200lb sandblaster. My entire car needs a blast to get all the rust, scale, paint, and other miscellaneous shmeg (sp?) off so I can begin putting in new metal. It would cost about $200 for the day, but I was thinking that it would be easy to do at least two or three cars or additional parts if anyone was interested in going in on it. PM me if you have a need for a good blasting.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
You might PM "paulwall" - I know he was considering dipping his project fastback. This may be an alternative for him. Dickson

·
Registered
352 Posts
I might would consider but I am no where near this stage. I have managed to remove most of the trim around the front and back glass...but that is about the extent of it.

Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
You'd be real lucky to do that many cars in one day, as it's a time consuming process. And I wouldn't recommend blasting the body, at least with sand - Too easy to warp the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ditto what Jim said about "careful with the body skins".
I've used glass bead blasting on small sheet metal parts and even being very careful the metal will dimple and bend.
My hood has "dimple hash" on it, looks similar to hail damage.
I'm thinking it is the result of sand blasting which the p.o. did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts