Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a space save spare on Ebay, but I've never had a car with a space saver and I have some questions.

• [li]What is the inflating canister filled with?[/li][li]Can the canister be refilled?[/li][li]Can the tire be inflated with a compressed air hose?[/li][li]What goes between the canister and the valve stem while inflating (a hose of some sort?)[/li]

I know there is probably an obvious answer to most of these questions, but I I've just never seen one inflated before. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The canister cannot be refilled. I don't know what is in it. The tire can be inflated with a compressed air hose.

I recommend that you inflate the tire and see if the sidewalls are cracked. Very common in the folds of the tire. IIRC the canisters are pricey. You can use a can of Fix-a-Flat in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
On a similar vein, I am amazed (and curious) as to the number of "NOS" inflator bottles that are appearing on e-bay. I'm pretty convinced that some other bottle is being cleaned, painted chevy red, then sold as a full NOS bottle. Thinking that they are substitutes, I'm a little concerned about what's in them (not to mention a little annoyed at the pricing.) Is it flammable? The original material?

Carl

·
Registered
540 Posts
chpierce said:
On a similar vein, I am amazed (and curious) as to the number of "NOS" inflator bottles that are appearing on e-bay. I'm pretty convinced that some other bottle is being cleaned, painted chevy red, then sold as a full NOS bottle. Thinking that they are substitutes, I'm a little concerned about what's in them (not to mention a little annoyed at the pricing.) Is it flammable? The original material?

Carl

I've heard on other sites that the canisters could be sourced from Mitsubishis...The guy that sells a lot of these has a picture on his auctions that shows a stack of Ford boxes that could be for inflater bottles. I think the bottles are refurbished Mitsu, JMHO.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll just put one of those little 12v air compressors in my tool bag and inflate the tire with it if I ever have a flat. I don't have the actual space saver mounting bracket, and I have a spare tire subwoofer that will go inside the rim, and it will have a cover on it, so I guess having an inflator bottle really isn't necessary.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't know what kind of space saver you bought but If it's an original ford for a classic mustang I would not air it up. Try to deflate and repack like it was!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
From the tire guy.... I truly don't think I would personally even fool with it. It's a good way to get hurt...bad. If it is an old inflatable space saver from back in the 60's and 70's, I definitely wouldn't even try to inflate it. It would be an absolute miracle if it even inflated correctly, let alone inflate at all. If you did inflate it, you'll play hell getting it to go back to it's original shape. And, I certainly wouldn't want to ever depend on it. It would stay in the trunk if I needed to have one. They were junk when they were new, and I would say they haven't gotten better over time. I would only consider it a piece of nostalgia, and to have a period numbers correct piece in the trunk. And that is all I would ever do with it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Back in the 70s I would get one from a Firebird and put the tire on a Ford wheel.

Never had any problem inflating them and folding them back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts