Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 16" SPAL electric fan with 195 thermostat sensor on e-hay. Seller did not have install instructions. Anyone out there who can get a copy to me via email, fax or snail mail? I'd really appreciate it. I can't find any online anywhere. My email is [email protected]

If fax or snail mail is better, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I was just going to post on this. Don't source your 12V power from the starter solenoid. I did this a found out that when the fan is running, there are barely enough amps available to turn over the starter. In some cases, the amperage draw is sufficient that solenoid get's fried. Had that happen today. I am posting that under "doofus" if you want to read about it. I've got to get back into my spal wiring to change it from key'd power to full time power. ONce I do that I can tell you how it wires. Spal let's you select either way of powering the fan. With the hot weather, I am overheating the car if I have the fan turn off when the engine turns off. Figured to save the battery by using keyed power, but really not appropriate in the summer heat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a lovely day. I found some instructions on the SPAL site, but unfortunately, all of my wires are different colors than those on the instructions. So, if after you've figured it out, I could pick your brain, I'd appreciate it.

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I just PM'd you the same stuff and I will scan the instructions and email them to you tonight.

Here's what the wires do.

- orange is to 12v either switched by ignition if you want it to run only when ignition is on or constant 12v if you want it to run after shut down.

- gray is to the thermostat sender, or to a switched ground source if you want to manually force it on, or both. You can have it wired both ways. Wire to the thermostat and then tap your ground switch into that. All the thermostat does is ground the circuit that trips the relay.

- big yellow goes after a 30Amp fuse from the positive battery or battery side of the solenoid to the relay. It is the "input" of the relay.

- Red is the "output" of the relay. Once the relay is tripped it takes the juice to the fan.

At the fan itself, there are two wires. One red, one black. The red one goes to the red wire that comes out of the relay, the black goes to ground.

All of these instructions assume that you have the SPAL supplied relay for wire colors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts