Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i know a lot of you are experienced in spal fans. They have been recommended to me numerous times and heck, its even this months special buy. I have my pusher 16" fan all mounted up & it works great when i supply power. I mounted the relay, and routed all the wiring. The next step is thermostat. Now the thermostat that came in the kit is a 'switch thermostat' so i have been told, not a 'variable thermostat' like original equipment. Question is, do i mount the new thermostat in the old spot on the manifold? If so, will my temp gauge still work if i hook it to the new thermostat? If not, where else should i mount the new one?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You have to mount 2 senders.
The one for the Fan and then a second one for the temp gauge in the car. Does your water pump have any plugs in it that you can unscew for mounting a second sender?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You are correct, what you have in the kit is a switch. You may be able to fnd a Tee type fitting, but that's not the proper way to install a temperature sensor (works OK for pressure only). The temperature instrument should always be in the water flow path to monitor the actual water temp, not the dead leg of water in the tee. Ideally, the fan sensor/switch should be installed in the outlet side of the radiator (water pump suction), so it senses the temp of the return water and starts the fan if it gets too hot. If installed in the manifold it's going to run most of the time because the thermostat is maintaining a constant temperature. I plan on welding a boss onto the radiator and tap it to mount the switch, but someone on here, I think it was Kent (kketel) found a piece that you mounted in the lower hose with a fitting to locate the switch. Hopefully somebody who remembers that will show up. Good luck.

Lou

·
Administrator
19,348 Posts
I believe it's this one: Inline temp. sensor
I found one almost identical under the hood of a 92 SAAB 900, but I think the diameter is a bit too small for the lower hose. I have yet to mess with it. It's in the "parts stash" somewhere.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I run a 16" SPAL fan on my 65 and I too was confused as what to do for a switch. I first installed just a toggle swtch to turn it on manually but after awhile I also installed an extrenal sending unit and relay that now turns it on automatically. The relay pot can be adjusted to whatever temp you like. The sending unit mounts on the outside of the radiator where it picks up the heat for the sensor. You can buy them at a variety of places.

Doc the moneymanager

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Dodge is right about 2 senders. I haven't wired my thermostat up yet, but I got another thermostat housing (front of intake where upper radiator hose connects) from NAPA that has the 3/8 NPT threaded hole for the sender in it. So I'll have the fan sender in the thermostat housing and the temp sender in the intake.

I'll get to doing the thermostat thing soon, but for now it's sunny in Seattle, I have the manual switch wired up and I'm not taking my car out of service for this. :: Maybe if we get a week of rain I might do it before winter, but I'm not in any hurry for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts