Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I made a doof of myself buying a non-fitting tempa-spare. I'm both relieved and briefly wearing the doof hat again over the solution.

A suitable spare tire was sitting in my driveway. Literally.

Long story, I had a '99 Dodge Intrepid that I've been trying to sell for two years. Nearly mint, but every single fraggin' baggin' time I tried to put it in for-sale condition, some damned thing would break, requiring a precious weekend to put right. Power windows, brakes, transmission sensor (twice), battery (twice)... it never stopped. Mainly, it kept sucking the battery dry in anything from three to ten days of sitting, and I never did find out why. I checked the current draw at rest, and it was never very high. I suspect some timed or temperature-controlled circuit was kicking in and drawing a lot of power intermittently.

Anyway, I got a new battery in it only to have the tranny sensor quit again as I was driving it home. So I finally gave up, charged the battery, washed and detailed it, and gave it to a local charity. Frankly, the tax deduction will greatly exceed any retail profit... book is much higher than actual selling prices.

As I was cleaning out the trunk, I peeked at the never-used spare. Hey. That looks... out came the tape. 4.5" bolt pattern, 24.5 inch diameter... BINGO! So I kept it... and even took the option to get rid of the other spare I bought. A little mean, I guess, but I did put a note on it saying THIS SPARE DOES NOT FIT THIS CAR. The resellers can fix it out of their own wrecking yard (a central agency collects all the donation cars for the local charity groups).

Anyway... if you want a tempa spare for your 'Stang, forget about the Ford stuff. Anything with the right bolt pattern will be tiny, 21-22 inches. And the bigger spares probably won't have the right bolt pattern.

Wander over to the Mopar section and snag the spare from any late-model Intrepid-Concorde-300 instead.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I often hear that Chrysler quality is lacking, but you gave away a 1999, are they really that bad?!

Thanks for the tip about the spare.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I did a 4 wheel disc brake swap and couldn't find a donut spare...

..ended up...finding a Lincoln Continental spare 195/85-16 spare will fit fine and clear the rear discs....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I often hear that Chrysler quality is lacking, but you gave away a 1999, are they really that bad?!
Yes and no. It was an okay car the three years my wife drove it (long highway miles, mostly, about 3-500 a week). When we bought her a new driver in October 2002, I wanted to fix a fender ding before selling it. That took months of dealing with a paint shop so stupid they couldn't figure out where they were located or how to work their phone system, and never did get done. I had new tires put on it, and had the brakes done... by a shop so incompetent that they essentially failed in about ten miles. A second shop said the pads had been installed incorrectly and had cracked. I had them redone. Then... all the pissant stuff started, and about every third or fourth weekend I would go to put the car in sellable shape, only to trip over a dead battery or stuck window or some other damn thing.

Book on it runs $5,300 to $6,400, and it truly rated the high end of that with the ding and tranny sensor fixed. (All of the other stuff is just that model year's known problems.) However, there's no market for them and they're going for $2,500-2,800 at best. So the $4995 tax deduction is far more valuable.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a 4 wheel disc brake swap and couldn't find a donut spare...

..ended up...finding a Lincoln Continental spare 195/85-16 spare will fit fine and clear the rear discs....
I found a number of tempa-spares at the wrecking yard with the correct bolt pattern, but they were all quite small - 21 to less than 23 inches. Good enough for most use, but with 25.7 inch tires and a posi, I was worried about hammering the posi to death driving on such a mismatched set. The 24 inch I found turned out to be the wrong bolt pattern.

I *think* this 24.5 will be adequate for rear use, as long as I'm gentle on corners, or I can put it front only and swap a front to the rear - PITA, but better than no spare at all or a full-sized one taking up too much room and weight. I probably won't even carry the temp when I'm just pooting around town... that's what AAA is for! :)

If there's a Ford spare with a 24" or larger diameter and a 4.5 bolt pattern, I couldn't find one in a big, well-stocked wrecking yard...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,659 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! As my car is nowhere near on the road, I don't have to worry much about my spare mucking up my posi. I'm still a mind to hold out for a Ford aluminum spare though. I have a line on a junkyard that might have a couple of late 90's Cobras junked, just need to go see what sort of spares might be had. And if they will part with one. Rumor is they aren't junking the cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts