Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling out my spare tire to semi-detail the trunk, I noticed that there is no way to secure the spare tire. I see that suppliers carry a tie down with a hook, but I can't for the life of me find where that would secure to the car.
Under the mat is the gas tank, to the side, I didn't see any spot to hold the spare in place. Can someone help?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Although mine is a '66, the hold down should be the same as your '67. The aftermarket suppliers list the same parts being used in the '65-'67 model years. In the attached image, it is the bracket at the bottom right.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Well, that is not a 67 spare tire hold down mount shown. But, right next to the one shown will be the correct (when you get it) one. And a hook with a large washer, hand handle will do it.
I'm guessing your car has had some sheet metal replacement because Fomoco welded one in there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Maybe I should have said "same general location" to be more correct. You would know about the actual OE stamping better than I would.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trunk spare tire mount

Here is a picture of my 1967 trunk. Looks like I don't have the bracket for the spare tire tie down, unless I'm missing something.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Was a spare an option back in the day?
You can order the piece and have it welded in place and use the standard J hook and clamp for a 67-8

·
Registered
452 Posts
Gary : I agree with your assessment, as well as your solution.
While the one in my convertible (identical to the picture of the one in a fastback posted by eldog) is present, it has rusted away from, along with part of, the passenger side trunk drop off panel. Rather than try to separate the two pieces of sheet metal, I would just as soon replace the bracket with a reproduction. The problem ; I can't find any place that carries this reproduction.

Does anyone know if, and where the OP and I can find a reproduction ?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

·
Registered
34,290 Posts
Gary : I agree with your assessment, as well as your solution.
While the one in my convertible (identical to the picture of the one in a fastback posted by eldog) is present, it has rusted away from, along with part of, the passenger side trunk drop off panel. Rather than try to separate the two pieces of sheet metal, I would just as soon replace the bracket with a reproduction. The problem ; I can't find any place that carries this reproduction.

Does anyone know if, and where the OP and I can find a reproduction ?

Thanks for any help.

Bob
Yes.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=LJOkXNneFsyC5wL4y5zYCQ&q=67+mustang+spare+tire+bracket&btnK=Google+Search&oq=67+mustang+spare+tire+bracket&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i299l3j33i160.2686.9164..9358...0.0..0.256.2528.25j3j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i22i30j33i22i29i30.XGJ-1J6JgdA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts