Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
65 A code rattle box
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the Pertronix custom length spark plug wires and they came with 45 degree boots already crimped to one end. The kit also includes a set of shorter 90 degree boots as well as a set of 90's for the dizzy. I test fitted them 90 on one side and 45 on the other. Let me know which one you would run.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I don't think a general rule exists. Find the solution for your combination which gives you maximum clearance. The spark wires are too close to the header in the second picture for my taste. The 45 look better to me. Another thing is the routing of #7 and #8. They are running in parallel for a long time and (almost?) touch each other at the end. This could lead to misfire due to the firing order (assuming a 302 order). Try to maximize the distance here too.

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
65 A code rattle box
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd turn the 90's up so they're facing AWAY from the header primaries.....
You mean burning up my new wires is a bad idea?! Lol I suppose I could have positioned them better for the pic, I just kinda threw them on.
Here I fixed it for ya 😉
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Should I be concerned if the wires are gently touching the valve cover?
Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

If so then I’ll go with the 45s for better clearance.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As @Mustang4SF alluded to, inductive crossfire can occur. Route you plug wires so that 7 & 8 (or 5 & 6 depending on your firing order) don't run parallel next to each other, and only cross at a 90 degree angle if they need to cross.
White Vertebrate Black Human body Jaw

Cylinders 7 & 8 are a problem on the old 289/302 firing order. Cylinders 5 & 6 are a problem on the 351/5.0 HO firing order.
Hair Human body Organism Gesture Font

• Helpful
Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
42,822 Posts
You mean burning up my new wires is a bad idea?! Lol I suppose I could have positioned them better for the pic, I just kinda threw them on.
Here I fixed it for ya 😉
View attachment 855105
Should I be concerned if the wires are gently touching the valve cover?
View attachment 855106
If so then I’ll go with the 45s for better clearance.
Great! Now what's that engine still doing out of the car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts