Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up my msd 6al box and I have a Mallory unilite distributor (msd distributor that came in it would not fit under shaker hood) and a blaster coil. I was wondering how big of a gap I should use and what benefits does a larger gap offer?
thank you very much for your input

1970 351 Cleveland Mach I
First car, bought it in 8th grade, I'm now 17 and it's
loads of fun

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It depends on your compression ratio. The lower the compression ratio, the higher the plug gap. The MSD-6AL instructions has a chart in it to get you in the right range:

<pre>Compression Gap
============= ==============
Up to 10.5:1 0.050 - 0.060
10.5:1-13.0:1 0.040 - 0.050
Above 13.0:1 0.035 - 0.045
</pre>

The bigger gap gives a longer lasting, hotter spark for more complete combustion. More complete combustion=better performance. Better performance=more HP and better mileage.

I'm running .051 in my 289 right now. HTH!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When connecting your distributor and MSD box the small red wire connects to the red wire on the distributor and then they both connect to the ignition switch. What colour of wire is your ignition switch wire and did you connect it the the wire from the solenoid or a wire coming from the dash?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Jeggs before I hooked it up. The small red off the 6al is supposed to be connected to a hot wire from you (key)ignition so that the box has juice when you turn the key on. I currently haven't tried starting mine so I don't know if it is wired correctly. I ran that small red from the 6al to a brown wire which was previously connected to the coil because I think it the old ignition wire from the key or solinoid.
I let you know if it runs:)
Thank you for the replies

1970 351 Cleveland Mach I
First car, bought it in 8th grade, I'm now 17 and it's
loads of fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts