Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make some custom spark plug leads, sounds easy enough, a coil of wire, a crimping tool and some fittings, well a guy in the local parts store tells me that only the manufacture can make them, the "special" crimping machine is worth thousands of dollars ::
After I checked that I didn't have sucker tattooed on my forehead I got to thinking that maybe I don't know all there is to know about plug leads.
I am running a standard points distributor, so any information related to the different types and application of leads would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
John......

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There is a "special" Crimping Tool. Looks like a regular wire stripper plier to me but has a different jaw cut into it, kinda shaped like a W. Got it at CarQuest for about $20 USD. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm not sure I get the question. You could put whatever boots you want on the ends of the plug wires, but the leads must fit the cap (either the socket type or HEI style). I'm not sure what a custom lead would get you, other than headaches, then you'll cover them up with boots so no one would see them anyway.

Now if you're just talking about cutting your plug wires to a custom length, that's another story. The MSD "universal" plug wires come with a crimping tool. It doesn't take any high dollar tool to put plug wires together.

The plug wires on both my '66 and '69 I custom cut, and put my own ends on them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now if you're just talking about cutting your plug wires to a custom length
Yep, that is what I was trying to say :eek: I figured it couldn't be that hard, only need to crimp the connector to the lead and have it pierce the insulation so it connects to the conductor .... thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
G'day buddy, I thought I lived in the bush, I'm in Sunbury ...where the hell's Kallista ...? OK the Dandenongs ...nice website.

Anyway, good to talk to someone on the board who isn't dyslexic!
I trust your steering wheel is in the correct location?
(Unlike the foreigners from the North!)

Anyway dude, If you're going to Hanging Rock in Feb, come and say Hi...I've got the only 71 Mach1 in Vermillion Fire.
Can't miss it. (Unless the other 1,000 Mustangs get in the way!)

cheers. ::

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just cut the wires to size. Take the end off the wire using a small screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. To reinstall I just carfully crimp them back on with a pair of channel locks. Never had a problem with.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
and have it pierce the insulation so it connects to the conductor
When you do it right, you will trim the insulation back and expose the core. You then slide the end on and crimp it. The crimp only bites into the insulation to prevent it from comming off.

If you get the MSD "universal" wires, they'll have the tool in the kit that makes it pretty easy to trim the insulation away from the core at the exact right place and then crimp the end on. To use these crimpers, a pair of needle nose pliers and a bench vise are a must (to actually make the crimp, you set the tool, with the inserted wire and end into a bench vise, then crank the hell out of the bench vise to actually form the crimp).

·
Registered
122 Posts
hahahaha. wow, i needed a good laugh today. its amazing the people they have working at parts stores. did he also tell you that only the dealership can change blinker fluid?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree. I have detailed out many engines for Replica Cobras and have always custom fit them. No prpblems.

:peeping:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts