Vintage Mustang Forums banner

SPARK PLUG QUESTION....HELP !!

658 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mach1_70 
#1 ·
If I run late model ( 1987 302 heads ) on a 1966 289 block, and the Autolite plugs are gapped for a 1987 (.44) would this make the 1967 stock points ignition not able to bridge the gap with the correct amount of spark ? ( weak spark ) ?
Should I gap the plugs at the 1967 289 settings (.34 ), or the later model settings ?

thanks for any input

#3 ·
My '86 302 in my '66 ran like crap at the engines suggested gap with the old dist. and pertronics. Re-gaped them at .035 and what a difference I had. I was ready to scrap the engine until then. It was one of those things that just slipped through the crack upon the engine and tranny swap.

#4 ·
I must agree with sharkmouth and AzPete. .35 should be adequate.
On another note, I'd swap out your points for a breakerless ignition system asap. Your car will run better, and you wont have to worry about gapping and replacing points. I heard there's kits out there that will even let you use your stock distributer housing, for an origional look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.