Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a NGK WR5 in my 65 Mustang 302. I need a step colder plug which should be a WR6. It seems these don't exist. Anyone have another recommendation. I love the WR5. Just need a hair colder.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
As indicated, I'd try the 45's. Those are, by far, the most cost effective. If that's too warm, one step down is the Autolite 34..... which are now defunct but
can be had easily on eBay in boxes of 10. (they are the 18mm go-to for the various vintage Ford "performance engines" heat range..... 289HP, etc.)
I have 2 or 3 boxes in my cabinet. If the plug stays clean & unfouled, those hard electodes will last a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give them a shot. Thanks for the quick replies. Seems cheaper and easier to get my hands on the the v racing plug, which is great.

·
Spammer Hammer
11,309 Posts
I’d be surprised if Walmart didn’t have Autolite 45’s. How much cheaper could you expect?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autolite 45s are in. Gapped at .037. Seem to be doing well. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
Autolite 45s are in. Gapped at .037. Seem to be doing well. Thanks for the info guys.
I'd reduce the gap to .032". As they wear the gap will increase. A wider gap isn't going to make the spark stronger, unless you're running a true capacitive-discharge ignition (CDI) system. You don't want to make it HARDER for the ignition system to make a spark....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd reduce the gap to .032". As they wear the gap will increase. A wider gap isn't going to make the spark stronger, unless you're running a true capacitive-discharge ignition (CDI) system. You don't want to make it HARDER for the ignition system to make a spark....
No CDI, just a flamethrower coil. I'll reduce the gap. Thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts