Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is old hat to some of you, but I've never made spark plug wires before, until tonight. I'm using Accell 8mm wires, with looms, and trying to run the wires thru the cap so they aren't real sloppy looking. What is the secret as far as length goes? I've fitted the wire to the plugs, thru the looms, and am bringing it up to the terminal in the cap. How far past the terminal do you actually cut the wire? Taking into consideration the amount of wire that is still needed to go into the boot, get the wire ends crimped, and put into the cap. I'm sure somebody has a magic number (length) without leaving too much slack. Any advice?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Get all wire guides on that will be on it. Then I do one wire at a time. I make the wire follow the wire to its post on the distributor and cut it right at the center of the post. As you're doing it, though, don't make them tight. You have to leave enough slack for timing adjustments. By cutting them at the center of the post, it will err slightly on the side of caution, as the wire will actually gain about 1/8-1/4" length because of the terminal and boot.

It's a time consuming process, but worth the effort, IMHO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts