Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size of wires does anyone recommend ? Currently I am using the original points distributor (rebuilt). I think the wires that were on it were 7mm wires. Will increasing the MM's help in any way with a conventional points setup ? T.I.A.

J.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes...the thicker the wire, the less resistance on the inner core, which means that more juice will hit the spark plug.

I bought the 8.8mm Accel's and some of the guys here seem to like the 8.8 Ford Racing wires. Both are good.

1) They are thicker and stronger
2) They look cooler
3) They have a thicker outer so they can lower the resistance on the inner core (as discussed) so that you will send a stronger spark.

Thinner spark plug wires have to run higher resistance on the inner core, reducing the spark by the time it reaches the spark plug.

Greg.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Also...to take advantage of the thicker spark plug wires with less inner resistance, you should use a hotter coil. I noticed a difference when I put in an accel coil. Only cost me $45. Your spark plug wires will cost more then that.

If you run both, you will feel a difference. Plus, you will be able to widen the gap of your spark plugs from .35 to .38-.40 which will give a better spark as well.

It's a good basic upgrade for a stronger idle and better performance straight accross the power curve. Especially in the mid to upper RPM's where traditional spark systems start to fall off.

Greg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts