Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, nothing posted within the past year on what p/n to use for plug wires that are the proper color and length.

Do these exist at a parts store, or mail order only?

I dont like to mail order plug wires because I want to see what Im buying.

I have a set I bought from RockAuto, love the look of them, but they are way to long. I could cut them down, except no one carries the ends, mail order only and almost as expensive as buying new wires.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
While you are swapping wires, you might consider a cap with HEI type male connections. The wires make a nice click as they connect. For wires I went with a pre-made Moroso Ultra 40set for a 302 with duraspark ignition. You can get them on eBay for about $65. They fit well and seem very well made. This is the cap I got to replace the big 2 piece Duraspark unit: Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products AL-482 Distributor Cap: Automotive

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
It's been my practice to custom cut to length most all of the quality plug wire sets. I'm not a fan of excess plug wires flopping around in the engine bay. Just my way.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
It's been my practice to custom cut to length most all of the quality plug wire sets. I'm not a fan of excess plug wires flopping around in the engine bay. Just my way.
I tend to agree. Custom cut also allows for a tight routing around he edge of the valve covers with some Taylor looms. I was pleasantly surprised with the Moroso pre-made wires for my stock routing although, I should have cut the coil wire a bit shorter. 135 degree boots are perfect.

·
Registered
383 Posts
See how the wires above lay along side of each other touching. That's a no-no. You can get crossfiring from it.. As one wire fires it creates a magnetic field around it, that can actually cause the other wire laying along side of it to fire. Even if you disconnected both ends of the plug wire it could still generate a spark. Remember your primary coil's magnetic field collapsing causes your secondary winding to create that big blue spark. They are not connected to each other except for the magnetic field. You don't want a wire firing at the wrong time. One of the ways you prevent this is with the wire spacers but you also should run a wire 90 degrees across the other wires. Somehow that cancels out any crossfiring? Look at an original engines plug wire routing and you will see that the factory purposely ran a wire 90 degrees to the others. Its not sloppy work, its done like that on purpose.

Here is a story from a factory Ford training class I took . The Presidential limousine, back when they were using Lincolns would continually die almost at the very same spot, two blocks from the White House and they couldn't figure out why? It drove the Ford Engineers crazy. What they finally figure out was when the car was two blocks from the White House gate they would radio ahead to open it. When they wired the radio they had placed the wires alongside the wires to the computer. The magnetic field around the radio's wires was effecting the computer. Once they spaced the wires apart the problem went away.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yes, I should put a separator between wires 7 & 8 although I have not had a problem with it. Given magnetic fields degrade by the square if the distance a little separation (and larger wire insulation diameters) can mean a lot. Certainly one should never zip tie wires together for a "clean" look.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I might have wire ends I'd mail to you . Have to look in my parts drawers when I get back home .

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The advance stores in my area do not carry the ends, they are a special order item. Im going to remove the ends from the wires and reuse them. Ive already done a couple and they are working fine. These are 7mm suppression wires, thats all my oem system needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts