Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may seem like a silly question but what are the best plug wires for a stock 289 with the pertronix coil and point replacement?

I'm currently running Taylor street thunder wires (which I've heard bad things about). So I ordered some Pertronix wires but boots don't fit the distributor cap very well, and the lengths are too long. I was considering the Marti wires but read some bad reviews...there is also Scott Drake wires but no reviews on those anywhere.

EDIT: Prefer something stockish looking (7-8 mm no blue or red) that I don't have to cut and crimp.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I personally like the MSD street fire wires, they're a little cheaper at about $40-50 a set on ebay new, and you can get cut to fit ones that allow you to make everything fit the best way possible. They also include a tool to crimp the ends on using a vice that gives you a good, repeatable crimp. Also a little lacquer thinner on a rag and you can wipe the MSD writing right off to give it a more stock look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put a Taylor High Energy 8mm set on my Mustang over the weekend. She would barley idle she was running so badly. Switched back to the old wires and ran great. I found three bad wires using my multi-meter out of the new set of Taylor. Returning them Amazon. I started a thread regarding Bad New Spark Plug Wires? and a few responded they had quality issues with Taylor brand too.

I have heard Ford Racing and MSD wires are good. The wires I have on now that work great are Standard Ignition Blue Streak Performance 8mm wire set. I picked them up at O'Reilly Auto.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a Taylor High Energy 8mm set on my Mustang over the weekend. She would barley idle she was running so badly. Switched back to the old wires and ran great. I found three bad wires using my multi-meter out of the new set of Taylor. Returning them Amazon. I started a thread regarding Bad New Spark Plug Wires? and a few responded they had quality issues with Taylor brand too.

I have heard Ford Racing and MSD wires are good. The wires I have on now that work great are Standard Ignition Blue Streak Performance 8mm wire set. I picked them up at O'Reilly Auto.
I saw your post thanks.

Do you run Pertronix and how do those Blue Streak wires fit your cap?

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
I've always had good luck with Taylor and Packard (Delphi now) wires. I buy the "cut to length" kit and do my own crimps. On the other hand, I haven't bought a set of plug wires in 20 years. Having to recommend a set for my BFF's current 289 build I'll probably advise him to get these....

There's really no need for wires with a bunch of fancy attributes... that's like using premium gas when regular will do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I saw your post thanks.

Do you run Pertronix and how do those Blue Streak wires fit your cap?
Yes, I am running a Pertronix Igniter 1 with the Blue Streak Wires with no issues. The wire cap connectors are 90 degrees and fit well. I am also using a Standard Ignition Products blue stock style cap. Oh, I also run the Pertronix Coil connected to the pink resistor wire with no issues. I'm seeing 9.7 volts on the positive side of the coil with the engine running.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I also run the Pertronix Coil connected to the pink resistor wire with no issues. I'm seeing 9.7 volts on the positive side of the coil with the engine running.
I really need to see if my pick resister wire is intact. Its under the dash correct?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would check the voltage at the coil positive while the engine is running. I think the pink resistor wire drops the voltage down to 6 volts at the coil while the engine is running to keep the old points system from frying. Not sure why mine is 9.7 volts other than its possible the resistance of the wire has degraded over 50+ years. I believe the pink resistor wire comes off the ignition switch.

There are others who have had no issues keeping the pink resistor wire and running with the Pertronix Ignitor 1. I replaced the points with the Pertronix 1 over twenty years ago when they first came out and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
I would check the voltage at the coil positive while the engine is running. I think the pink resistor wire drops the voltage down to 6 volts at the coil while the engine is running to keep the old points system from frying. Not sure why mine is 9.7 volts other than its possible the resistance of the wire has degraded over 50+ years. I believe the pink resistor wire comes off the ignition switch.

There are others who have had no issues keeping the pink resistor wire and running with the Pertronix Ignitor 1. I replaced the points with the Pertronix 1 over twenty years ago when they first came out and haven't had any issues.
You're seeing 9.7 volts because it's the "average" voltage.... you'll see battery voltage when the coil primary is "open" and approx. 6 volts when the coil primary is charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts