Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local Smoothers, so I decided to get some NGK spark plugs.

I tell the guy I have a 69 351W block, and he gets me my plugs. Look fine since I've never actually seen the plugs in my engine before.

Take them home, and behold, WRONG size.

The plugs in my Stang are:
Autolite 3924

He gave me:
NGK WR5 (2438)

Well, I then went to my local Kragens, where the guys are cool, and let me go through their books.

I brought up some info, and find that NGK's book says my engine takes:
NGK (6630)

Now, I found the replacement plug for the Autolite's (3924) in my car, are:
NGK (5553)

So this is what we have right now:

Autolite 3924 - in car
NGK 5553 - direct replacement of Autolite's
NGK 6630 - threads same, but shorter depth if I screwed in
NGK 2438 - Computers at AutoStores say I need these, don't fit

Alright, my question:

Since I'm using Victor Jr. Heads, my spark plugs are obviously different from regular 351W 69 block.

I KNOW the Autolites and the 5553 NGK's will work, but what I'm wondering is, should I use the NGK 6630's?

I can't find a resource that tells me what I SHOULD be using with the Victor Jr heads on a 351W.

Arg. Also, I plan on eventually running nitrous, should I use really hot spark plugs or what?

Also, I should be gapping them to .045, correct?

Thanks!

G

·
Throw away the NGK's... I use Champion race plugs, sometimes Autolite race plugs. NGK's killed my ET on & off the juice

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use NGK Iridium spark plugs and I love them.. I got a full tenth of a second off my ET with them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Worth the 50 bucks...

Oh just one more question. I work at Kragen, not Kragens. Why the heck does everyone add an "s" to the end of Kragen!?!?? No one says "AutoZones" do they??

Ugh, sorry. Pet peeve...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I learned my lesson a LONG time ago when I kept trying www.kragens.com

ya.... that doesn't work...

I'm not usre, but up here in California, Kragen (no s) sounds really funny when you speak it in a sentence, such as:

"I'm going to Kragen."

But I'll try my best, sir!

;oP

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Needed are the condition of the electrodes and insulator.
*Look closely at how curved the inner electrode is.
*Look closely at how rounded the insulator is next to the electrode.
*Look at what color the insulator is.
Compare with service guide or list here.
If the existing Autolite is working well, why change brands?

G

·
Are they the 14 mm .750 long seal ring or are they an acorn style, I'm have ing a bad brain day. My big block BT heads are the same as a Dart Chevy so I remember them. Been a year since I did the Jr.s but I have my notes somewhere around here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts