Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doors aren't rusted out at all, so I'd hate to replace them, but there are several speaker holes cut into both. On the driver's door, there's two cut behind the door panel, and one cut underneath it.

I'm thinking i'll have to buy some rusty doors and cut patches to weld in place. Any other ideas?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
307 Posts
My doors aren't rusted out at all, so I'd hate to replace them, but there are several speaker holes cut into both. On the driver's door, there's two cut behind the door panel, and one cut underneath it.

I'm thinking i'll have to buy some rusty doors and cut patches to weld in place. Any other ideas?

Thanks
-Matt
If you have door panels with no holes what do they hurt? They will be covered up anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm with Oateater, or you could put some speakers in them.

·
Registered
986 Posts
What year? New door panels will cover the center door area. If you have a '67 or '68, Deluxe door grills will cover the bottom (if it wasn't hogged out too much).

Neil Hoppe

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

Thanks
-Matt

By underneath do you mean on the bottom/lower part that on a 68 would have the light/speaker grill?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you have door panels with no holes what do they hurt? They will be covered up anyway.
Nevermind I just realized the door panels may not cover the area you are talking about. So I would just trim up the edges and weld a piece of sheet metal in place clean it all up and your done. I see no need to buy another door.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Toss me a bone here, what year is the car?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Do you have a pic?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about witholding the bone. The car's a '67.

Two of the holes would be covered by the door panel. The other is beneath the fancy door panel and is fully visible. Between the two doors, EVERY speaker hole that was cut (5 of them) is in a different spot. It looks awful.

I can cut a patch and weld it in, but then I'll have to somehow re-create the texture of the inner door surface.

Thanks
-Matt

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,667 Posts
I recently bought a '95 F150 extended cab with the fold down rear bench seat. When I folded the rear seat down I was greeted by some familiar grain. The seat backs of the upper and lowers have metal backing that is grained. I'd have to take a rubbing to compare with my 67 doors to see how close it actually is. My thought is you could buy a rotten junkyard seat cheap and strip the backing. Just one seat could provide enough sheet metal to patch 20 speaker holes. Now how to make the edges of such patches blend in is another question.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Sorry about witholding the bone. The car's a '67.

Two of the holes would be covered by the door panel. The other is beneath the fancy door panel and is fully visible. Between the two doors, EVERY speaker hole that was cut (5 of them) is in a different spot. It looks awful.

I can cut a patch and weld it in, but then I'll have to somehow re-create the texture of the inner door surface.
If the factory speaker grille will cover it, just get them.

If it won't you are screwed. The "good" news is the repro doors don't suck. This is the same door from the other side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts