Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a pair of 6x9 speakers fit in the rear deck of a 67-68 coupe? Or will 5x7/6x8 be the route to take? I don't have a pair readily available to test fit so I wanted to ask before buying either set. If you could post pictures of your speaker setup on the deck, it would be great.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 6x9s in the back of my '66. Not sure if there are differences between '66 & '67.
These are mounted under the shelf from the inside of the trunk. I had to drill four holes for each speaker.

·
Registered
33,983 Posts
You will notice the center opening is actually intended to mount a 6x9. On hardtops I like to get outstanding stereo separation by using a dual voicecoil speaker in the dash, using both left channels, and a dual voicecoil in the rear, using both right channels. Pops right in, and you can use a repro factory rear speaker grille for easy installation. The dash, of course, is provided with an opening. Sounds far better than the couple feet of speaker separation using the holes shown above, and eliminates the quandry over how to put two speakers in the front.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
How much difference is there from 66 to '67? BigKoppas look different shaped than i recall.
6X9 need to go from the bottom. 5X7 can go in from the top without riding on the metal framework and screw down to the package tray thus no holes in the metal, no contorting inside the trunk and way easier for 1 person to do. The grill will leave a clean finished look.
Did this both ways on 65-6 so grain of salt for a '67.

·
Registered
33,983 Posts
65-68 had the same package tray. IIRC, the steel support was slightly different in 68.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The holes on the 67 package tray are about 5x8" so a 6x9 should fit fine with just a little overlap on the edges. The 68 package tray is slightly different because they redesigned the center hole to accommodate the newer rear defogger but I don't know if that effects the speaker holes at all.

Here's my 67 package tray with some ancient 5x7's mounted sideways:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put 6x9’s in my 68 coupe. My package tray support looks different from the 67 and the 66 pictured above. I did get a little dual speaker for the front center dash location - not great quality, but didn’t have to cobble any wiring to use fade and balance controls.

Mike
0300288C-25DD-4C15-B226-CBFF2FE47B78.jpeg

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Put 6 x 9s in the rear of my son '68. Mounted from underneath, no grilles, cut holes in the fiber board package tray and covered the whole package tray with speaker cloth. Can't even tell they are there.
Put a pair of 3 1/2" in the original dash speaker hole mounted to a plate I made using the original single speaker as a template.

·
Registered
33,983 Posts
I put 6x9’s in my 68 coupe. My package tray support looks different from the 67 and the 66 pictured above. I did get a little dual speaker for the front center dash location - not great quality, but didn’t have to cobble any wiring to use fade and balance controls.

Mike
Quite right, as you see the panel is revised to fit a pair of 6x9s. Really strange, since it was never offered that way from the factory.

The 69-70 fastback package tray was punched for a pair of 4x10 speakers, and one in the center, but again, never offered from the factory. The 69-70 Mustang (for that matter, 66-73) had the stereo factory speakers in the doors.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I really like the idea of the 6x9's mounted from underneath yet hidden from view. I think I am going that route for now.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
For low profile speaker grilles I used the 60's vintage dealer options here. They're not concours correct Mustang parts, and they're definitely not as stealthy as the speaker cloth but I think they work and keep with the 60's look especially once they're painted to match.

They work way better than that 68 rear defogger in the center there. But it looks cool it's got that going for it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For low profile speaker grilles I used the 60's vintage dealer options here. They're not concours correct Mustang parts, and they're definitely not as stealthy as the speaker cloth but I think they work and keep with the 60's look especially once they're painted to match.
View attachment 738595

They work way better than that 68 rear defogger in the center there. But it looks cool it's got that going for it.
I will admit that looks really good. I am a little shocked at the cost of a speaker cover though. What size it the cover?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yeah, they're not cheap but since they match the ones in the '67 Ford Accessories Catalog (page 15) and they look good there I splurged on them.

The outside dimensions on them are 9x6-3/8" or so.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, they're not cheap but since they match the ones in the '67 Ford Accessories Catalog (page 15) and they look good there I splurged on them.

The outside dimensions on them are 9x6-3/8" or so.
What size speaker are they sized for? Or would you have the dimensions between the mounting studs on it?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts