Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the radio and speakers in my 65 and I'm pretty confident that my wiring is good. However, I'm still getting a lot of static and fuzz when I turn the volume past halfway. I believe that the antenna is original, could the age just be what is causing this problem? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The antenna wouldn't cause static beyond a certain volume point. If you're talking about a breakup or buzz, it could be a bad speaker even if it's new. Try wiring in any speaker you have in the garage or home to verify the new speaker you installed is ok, or that there's nothing rattling on the cone (like a dropped screw).

If you're giving it a solid 12V and the grounds are good and the speaker is OK, it's a bad radio.

I've repaired a lot of mid 60s Ford radios and the first thing I do is replace the three or four electrolytic capacitors on the board. This gets about 90 percent of them playing loud and clean.

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ah, it's a new radio..

First, NOT the antenna.

Honestly, it's hard to tell from a phone recording, but it sounds a lot like what a bad Class D audio amplifier IC sounds like when it craps out. But for both channels to do the exact same thing tells me it's further back, or a wiring problem common to both sides. I assume both channels sound like crap?

Make sure you've got the correct impedance speakers to match the radio, and make sure neither of the the speaker terminals on either speaker are grounded unless the radio uses ground for the speaker low side. If the radio uses a floating split supply output and you're grounding one side of the speaker, it's going to raise holy hell with the audio output ICs.

Still, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a bad head unit. If it's new, just get it swapped out.

John

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your speakers are in the back, make sure you run power and speaker wires on opposite sides of the car to reduce interference.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Here's an interesting video discussion how a audio signal noise suppressor works. Perhaps you need a device like this due to unbalanced grounds.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thats not the noise he has in the video. Without a noise suppressor that you are referring to, you get a whine through the radio from the alternator that changes with engine RPM.
Yep, plus the fact that OP would have mentioned the noise only occurred with the engine running.

John

EDIT: We are talking about *just* a radio that directly drives speakers, not a head unit that feeds an outboard amplifier, correct?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Blake what radio and speakers are you using?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts