Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to upgrade my stereo and I was wondering where people have placed their speakers? The front speaker just doesn't do it. I know you can get an dual coil speaker but I want more sound

I know you can get kick panel speakers. Just not sure how they'll fit with the new fuse box and relays installed down there.

Has anyone placed them in the back seat in the side trim panels? Can't put them in the rear deck since there isn't one.

Curious what people have done.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I did this addition in the early 2000s when restoring my cvt. Rather than "cut-up" my original panels (mine is a May'64 cvt). I have a folder with a bunch of pics of my adaptation. If you PM me, with your email, I'll send a link to a folder.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I think you have options that you haven't yet explored...
Oh LORD. Haha!!

I haven't done kick panel speakers because I like the OE look. I have 6x9s under my coupe deck but I see that's not an option for the vert. I don't recommend cutting good doors for the OE type door mounted speakers, but you could always mount some in the soft door panels and they could be super easily covered with a pair of fresh panels if you wanted the stock look for a show or whatever. Easily returned to stock has always been a priority for me.

I have considered a pair of speakers in small enclosures in the rear footwell that would be concealed by the back edge of the front seats, maybe a pair upright behind the back seat, and some mounted concealed under the dash.

I have a lot more good ideas than I have time or money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have wrestled with this for years. My current set up is that I have two small speakers in the dash (they need to be replaced so I am not sure if the dual voice coil speakers are worth it over the two small speakers currently installed) and kick panel speakers that were originally attached to a 2 channel amp installed on the trunk divider. That amp is being replaced with a 4 channel amp from Crutchfield and it will now power both the dash and the kick panel speakers. This should give the new Retrosound Retro Radio some sea legs.

The other option I have always liked is cutting two speaker holes in the fiberglass interior rear quarter panels of the car (the part that is upholstered), and then either removing the kick panel speakers or unplugging the dash speaker. I remember being in a car with that done in the 80's and thought it was good placement in a convertible which doesn't have the rear package tray. Before I do this though I want to buy a used set of fiberglass panels so as not to destroy my original ones.... I guess a trip to Carlisle is in order.

A final option is something I just saw at a car show this weekend on an old Austin Healy...they had a speaker box right in front of the shifter...on our cars picture it in the front of the console box...so essentially if you had a console you could just take out the front sliding cover and put a speaker in there so that it would be facing the back of the car. Interesting idea.

I personally don't like the idea of keeping two speaker boxes in the rear seat... I would think that it would just point sound up, not into the car.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of keeping two speaker boxes in the rear seat... I would think that it would just point sound up, not into the car.
I have seen a premade setup for this and wondered how good it must sound with at least a bass-midrange speaker design, and at one time I even saw a bass speaker designed to sit inside the spare tire. Somebody with a lot more knowledge than I have in acoustics came up with this stuff. Combined with the tweet-mid front speaker may be really good. Anything had to be better than nothing, too, I guess.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
897 Posts
I have. They fit fine and sound good.
Someone had already cut my back side panels before I bought my car. I just recovered them so you don't
see the speakers but they are still there, 6x9s. Sound pretty good connected to an amplifier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used the molded kick panels in my 65 vert that had the place for the speakers already in them. Before that the previous owner had these little speakers that hung down from the dash assembly.

·
6,968 Posts
I also bought the molded kicks and bought the best speakers I could find that would fit. I also have dual speakers in the normal dash opening in place of the factory speaker. It's pretty marginal.

I put my head unit in the glove compartment....which was a Sony CD receiver. I'm actually in process of replacing that with a JVC single din (half depth) receiver that has bluetooth including hands free calling.

Should finish up that install tonight with any luck.

Phil

·
Dimples
4,361 Posts
My buddy with a 65 vert put 6x9's in the interior quarter trim panels by the back seat and used a small leather hole punch to put little holes in the vinyl. It looks professional, you hardly notice them and it sounds good too. So that's one option.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
In my wife's 65 Vert I have the dual speakers in the dash and the kick panels speaks. I also have a pair of Bose outdoor box speakers in the trunk. The kick panel speakers are Pioneer. Between the dash speakers and the kick panel speakers they sound OK. I mainly use the Bose speakers in the truck for being parked, I open the truck and have great sound all around.

Back in the day, in my mom's 66 Vert we put dual coil speakers in the panels next to the back seat. They sounded pretty good with the Audiovox AM/FM 8 Track radio we wired in the glove box. The AM radio still worked with the center dash speaker.

I did the same thing in the 67 Vert I had back in the day except I made a face plate and mounted the AM/FM 8 Track in the dash where the AM radio was.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still wrestling with this idea. Thinking about kick panel speakers, but I installed a new under dash wiring harness with the modern fuse box, and that is installed down near where the kick panels are. I can move this, but I'm limited in how far without cutting/splicing and moving the fuse box........Not up for that right now (or ever).

Has anyone used the kick panel speakers with the new under dash wiring harness?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I built a console that has a radio/cassette player (in the center covered) and speakers on the sides. (This was 40 years ago.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I built a console that has a radio/cassette player (in the center covered) and speakers on the sides. (This was 40 years ago.)

I have a console and AC so that's out. I'm looking at kick panel or door speakers and my doors don't have holes for speakers. Not sure I want to cut up my doors.

·
Registered
728 Posts
they made a speaker pod for cougars that actually stuck out into the front fenders, cut a hole through the sheet metal behind the kick panels, and were able to mount speakers that didn't stick out into the footwell. I have thought about it, and discarded it.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The speaker pods suggested by Jedi when coupled with a kick panel with built in flush speaker grills from someone like Rhino Fabrication provide a very stealthy installation. While the factory Fairlane ones I had in my '67 Ranchero would not be a direct fit with a '66 Mustang, the concept does apply and might provide some guidance for a custom installation.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
I've got a pair of Bose 101's on the back floor. Sound decent and don't have to cut anything.
That's an idea. Nobody ever sits back there anyway. But aren't Bose 101s 8 ohm speakers? I have a pair of Bose PA outdoor speaks in a aluminum case that sound great but they're in the trunk of my wife's 65 Vert. You can hear them fine when the top is up but hardly at all when the top is down. I may move the trunk speakers to the rear floor. She also has kick panel speakers that I added and a dual speaker dash speaker, which I believe are on the same channel as the speakers in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts