Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this one out by my parents (much to the dismay of my wife... she'll get over it). It was originally an I6, but I think it currently has a 351W with an auto.

It is in restorable condition. It would be a rough driver as it is. Everything appears to be solid enough (no worse than my car when it was purchased). There is body damage (rust in some places that has been patched and the front valence is bent upwards away from the ground), but the glass is good, and hte interior is showing normal wear for 35 years of age.

I am trying to decided on an offer price. It isnt original... and even if it was it wouldnt be worth much. The guy's juvenile delinquent child told me $10,000, but the kid is a punk and I gotta believe I woke him up when I called, so he wasnt happy.

I am thinking between $750 and $1000. Is this an offer I should make over the phone in case he is insulted and has a sudden urge to shoot me? Plain old Sportsroof. The only thing that MIGHT be an option is the flip-open gas cap... but I think even that was probably an add-on.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I like your deal much better than what i found !

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You never know what some people are thinking. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he really thinks it's worth $10,000. If it's in running condition, I would be surprised if you got it for under $2500, but it never hurts to try. Good luck!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If there's zero rust (probably not) it may be worth up to $2k if it is actually in driving condition.

I paid $2500 for my sportsroof, but there is ZERO rust in it. The floor pans have the original candy apple red paint on them and they are still shiny. Mine "sort of" drove when I bought it, but it was quickly nick-named Scary at my house, because that described the driving experience quite well ::

I'd offer him $1000 to $1500 and see what he says. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he was really asking $10k. There's lots of idiots out there ;)

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called him... he said he was asking $8000 and if I thought that was fair. Not knowing what to say, I told him that I wasnt looking to pay that much at this point. He said that's okay, its worth $15,000.

I dont know if I actually made it off the phone before I burst out in uncontrollable laughter. I almost wanted to explain to him that no I6 car was going to bring that much jack.... let alone one as tired as his. I have a feeling I would have been talking to a wall.

Oh well. No $750 for him.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Now come on Jim,,It may have had that "rare" all aluminum 351W inline 6 cylinder,HEHEHEHE thosa are rare MUHAHAHAHA,But seriously if you didn't laugh at him over the phone,, call him back now and DO IT NOW,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I dont know if I actually made it off the phone before I burst out in uncontrollable laughter.
ROFLMAO. I agree with Robbie ... just in case he didn't hear you, you should call him back. Either that or maybe I should sell mine right now and pocket a quick $13k! ::

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's too bad... I had a feeling they were serious, though. Reminds me of the time I found a Mach 1 sitting behind a guys house. Looked like a good $2500 resto project to me, he wanted $10,000... he was 'going to restore it someday' - I hope someone did.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts