Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other post inquired about good fitting fenders. After really taking a closer look at mine I think they will be fine. They do have a tremendous amount paint on them from multiple paints "jobs" but otherwise look straight and decent. I do have another question though. I'm thinking I may have an original fender and a repro fender. The pictures attached show both fenders. The one on the right that has the cut our for the VIN has those diamond shaped "bumps". The one of the left does not. I'm thinking the left one is a repro. Any confirmations from the experts??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The passenger side should not have the cut out for the VIN, repo or original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
PS 1966stangman, stuff on the drivers side is referred to as left, stuff on the passenger's side is referred to as right, it appears your left side or drivers side fender is oem....maybe original, maybe service replacement...my service replacement fenders from the 70's have a date code stamped a couple of inchs back from the vin cut out, just past that bolt, rght fender is in the same spot... I can't really make out the numbers now, but they are there!
IMGP0269.JPG

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
The OP posted the pictures "backwards" so at first glance it appears that the photo on the left is the driver side and the photo on the right is the passenger side when actually they are opposite that.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OP posted the pictures "backwards" so at first glance it appears that the photo on the left is the driver side and the photo on the right is the passenger side when actually they are opposite that.
Actually not backwards. The photos are looking from the front...so the "left" or "driver's side fender is on the right! And actually not wondering which fender is which...just if they look OEM or not!
:cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will need to look for the date codes stamped into each fender mounting flange to identify if they are original, Ford service replacements or repops. In 1966 the triangles were added to the drivers fender to help facilitate collapsing of the fender in an accident and direct energy away from the driver. There were no triangles on the passenger side. I’m guessing your fenders are original, but the date codes or absence of them will tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts