Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too am having a smoke issue. Mine however is what i believe to be oil. I have 1200 miles on a overhaul. I started noticing smoke after the engine had reached operating temp and was more noticable while idling in gear after about 600 miles. Theres no smoke on start up or while the engine is cool. Only one side really shows smoke. I had new valve guides and new rings, and I dont think i'm overheating. I guess I'm looking for a second guess before having to pull the motor again and look inside. Any suggestions

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What color is the smoke? I take it, it is blue since you think it is oil? White would be the car is running rich or water (like blown head gasket). Do you have any oil comming out from under your oil cap on the valve cover? If so you probably have some blow-by which would indicate a problem with the pistons or piston rings. I'd probably do a compression test and see what the results are. You can also check your spark plugs to see if any oil is on them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smoke is blue and you can smell the oil, I dont have any coming out of the oil cap and I dont notice any when i stepped down on it and it shifts to passing gear. I dont see it when i am cruising down the street, I only seem to notice it while idling at a stop light or running in park after driving a while. I pulled the plugs once and noticed a small amount of wetness around the threads but none on the inside of the plug

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is the smoke coming from under the hood or the tail pipe? If it is under the hood I would check the valve cover. You might have to tighten the bolts again.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You have an oil ring or two that didn't get seated after the overhaul. Just keep driving it and maybe even use some Marvel Mystery oil to get the rings to seal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What oil did you put in. Please say you didn't use synthetic as a break in oil.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well to answer all, I did stagger the rings, I used rotella oil. I did use semi molly rings dont know if it makes a difference. I will try a few long decelerations and drive it when the weather permits. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts